Chapter 27

W I N T E R

"Why?" Rachel questioned.

"What?" I tilted my head.

"You sound like you are trying to convince yourself." She noted.

"What?" I repeated.

"All I'm saying is that you have every right to fall in love with whoever you want to and regardless of Leo's flaws, he's a pretty okay guy." She advised.

Do I really have that right?

"Now come on!" Rachel jumped up to her feet and stretched her arm out to me. "Let's go inside." She smiled.

"I'm way too embarrassed." I smacked her hand away.

"People lose their shit every once in a while, don't worry too much about it. Now come on." She urged.

"Fine." I finally took her hand and she pulled me up.

We walked together back inside the hall where everything was actually going on as planned. My father who was on stage flashed a quick smile at me as he was on stage accepting donations for the orphanages.

As we reached our table; everyone's gaze shifted to me but I pretended to not see and took my previous seat.

I pretended to not notice Leonardo staring a hole into my face so I kept my eyes on the empty plates in front of me.

I let out a gasp as I felt a warm hand on mine. I trailed the hand and met Leonardo's eyes. He gave me a reassuring smile and for some reason I felt relaxed.

Why is this man just giving me reasons to fall for him?

Don't look at me that way with your perfectly structured face!

I looked away and back to the cutlery on the table. I will not be distracted.

"How are you doing honey?" My father placed his hands on my shoulders.

"I'm fine dad but Leo and I need to leave soon, I have a meeting in the morning." I explained to him.

"My dear you should rest tomorrow, today has already been stressful enough."

"I can't reschedule dad, it's important."

"If you must go then you should get going right away, you need all the rest you can get." My mom suggested.

"It's getting quite late." Lisa, my mother in law also pitched in.

Was this their plan? To get me to leave?

Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my chest. My hand trailed up to chest and I placed my palm on my chest.

"But if you don't want to leave, you can stay. We can all just chitchat." My father chimed.

I cringed upon hearing my dad use the word chitchat. I really want to leave but saying I want to leave would make me look more pitiful.

I glanced over at Leonardo's direction hoping he could somehow read what my mind was saying but he didn't even spare me a glance.

What's this? Earlier he stared holes into me when I didn't want him to but now that I want him to look at me, he didn't even look at me.

Men.

"Actually," Leonardo cleared his throat loudly for everyone on the table to hear causing my heart to gladden as I anticipated his next words.

"Yes dear?" Lisa urged Leonardo to go on.

"I had a pretty tiring day today and since Winter has a meeting in the morning, I think it would be best if we go home now." He paused then he stared at me. "Do you have any issues with that?" He asked and I immediately shook my head.

He looked so cool just now.

"Winter let's go Christmas shopping later tomorrow?" My mother in law asked.

"It would be my pleasure." I gave her a warm smile.

"So, shall we?" Leonardo questioned.

"Sure." I got up from my seat and said my goodbyes to everyone.

Leonardo and I walked out and into the car in silence. The car ride was way more awkward, the only sound heard was the radio and like it already wasn't awkward enough, Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur was playing.

We reached home only about fifteen to twenty minutes later. As soon as he turned of the engine; I hurriedly tried to open the door so I could escape from all the awkwardness, his arm stopped me.

I froze not knowing if I should run away because I knew he wanted to discuss what happened tonight but I really didn't want to talk about it with him because he wouldn't understand.

"Winter." He called with a stern voice.

Shit.

I slowly turned to face him but I didn't let myself relax on the passenger's seat.

"Are you good?" Tears shone in his eyes.

Why is he getting so emotional?

"I really am, are you?" My heart broke seeing him just look at me with such sad eyes.

"I'm good as long as you are. I just don't want to lose you." He blurted.

A soft gasp escaped my lips. My broken heart broke further but like in a good way. He really cares about me.

"Let's go in then." His whole face suddenly lit up.

This man went from almost tearing up to his face glowing in less than a minute. Maybe he's the one who needs the therapist.

I walked ahead of him heading straight for my bedroom but I stopped hearing footsteps behind me so I turned back to see where he was going but I didn't even see his shadow.

He most likely went to the kitchen.

As I couldn't see him anymore, I faced my front and continued to climb the flight of stairs.

"I almost forgot to mention that you looked exceptionally beautiful tonight. I was going to compliment you sooner but I didn't have the proper words." Leonardo suddenly popped up behind me and revealed.

A flush creeped up my face and my heart went crazy. A look of contempt filled my face because I actually waited all night for him to say that.

"Thank you." I turned back to face him. "You looked very handsome as well!" I complimented.

His face reddened, "Thank you. Goodnight." He lifted his hand mid air.

Up until I fell asleep, I had a smile on my face and suddenly everything that happened earlier that night didn't seem to be such a big deal anymore.

All it felt like was a huge weight lifted off my chest.

I might not be in love with him but one thing I'm sure of is that Leonardo is good for me and maybe, just maybe this marriage won't be so bad after all.

**
Ending this chapter early because of how dark it felt.