Chapter 31: "I survived"

We had finally reached the Power station, and not a moment too soon. There was a large fence, almost ten foot tall around the tower. There was no gate and because of it being electric, we would not risk a climb or ramming it with a truck. Josh suggested that if we got some rubber gloves, he could use his wire cutters to cut through the fence.

Next to the power station was a large hospital, so the six of us who remained, and the single zombie entered in search of gloves. Once we entered the old hospital, we began to look around, opening old cabinets and doors, most of which were locked. Morgan and I checked behind the receptionist counter.

While dumping out drawer after drawer, there was a noise outside. It was choppy, and loud. Like a continuos popping. It was nothing farmilliar, and for this reason, I didn't like it. I gestured for Josh and Sam to hide down the hallway. I had no clue where nick had gone. Gavin crawled up the stairs and was on the second floor of the hospital. Morgan and I crouched down behind the counter.

Morgan tightened his grip over his shotgun. The doors to the hospital opened and footsteps approached the counter. It was very stressful, as I knew a fate was to come. I grabbed the pistol from my pocket. As the footsteps drew ever nearer, Morgan stood up and laid waist across the room. He let out four shots from his shotgun and stopped. He froze.

I stood up beside him and looked out. There were two people there. One a shorter man and the other, a tall woman with short black hair. They were both dressed in green speckled uniforms with reversed American flags on the right sleeve. The man had been shot by Morgan. His shirt was drenched in blood and a bit dripped from his lips.

The girl stood with her mouth agape. She leaned down and put her fingers to the mans neck. Morgan was in complete awe. The girl looked up to him.

"He's dead." She shook her head.

Morgan backed up, also shaking his head. "No." He said. "No, no, no, no."

He dropped the shotgun and ran for the stairs. I sprinted after him, but he was much quicker than I. I chased him up twelve flights of stairs until we were on the roof. When I stepped out through the door, I saw Morgan standing on the ledge looking down.

"Morgan!" I shouted.

He turned to face me, then he put his hand up. "Don't come any closer." He shook his head. Tears were pouring from his eyes.

"What are you doing?" I called. I slowly paced forward.

He looked down. "I just killed a man."

"It was an accident," I inched forward.

"Nothing can change it!" Morgan shouted. "We made it to the power station. Our objective is fulfilled."

I took a large step forward. I was now only about five feet away. "Our objective was to survive."

"Well than we failed that. Everyone is dead except us. Why? Maybe we should be the ones dead."

"Don't talk like that." I reached for his hand. "We're gonna make this out of here together."

Gavin raced up behind me, dragging himself on the floor. He froze a few feet back. Still Nick and Trenton were no where to be seen.

"It's done. For me anyway." Morgan shoved me back. I fell to the ground, then I looked up to him, and raced to my feet. Morgan closed his eyes, spread his arms, and took a small step back. I jumped up and ran to the ledge but it was too late.

I watched as Morgan fell through the air. It was almost as if he were flying. His arms glided through the air. His hair brushed with the breeze. All was calm until he hit the ground. Twelve stories down, he met the earth with a massive thud and broken bones could be heard miles away.

I sat, hanging over the edge, frozen. My hand was only inches away from his one moment, and he was gone the next. I threw myself back. "I promised I'd keep you guys alive." I ran my hands through my hair. "What have I done?"

"It's not your fault. Everyone dies eventually. Even kids. When the time is right, it will end for all of us." Gavin put his hand on my shoulder.

I brushed it off. "Thats my problem. The timing wasn't right. It was dead wrong."

"I'm still here. Sam and Josh. Nick." He looked down at me. "Thats more people than I've seen anyone else save. And why are they here? Because of you." Gavin helped me to my feet. "Now lets finish this job."

I helped Gavin to his leg and we hobbled for the stairs. When we were back down to ground level, I checked on this new girl. She did not seem to be upset to the death of her male friend.

She stood up, and quickly shoved me against the wall. "Who was your friend there, and where is he?"

I looked out through the glass doors. "His name was Morgan and... Well..." I gestured out the door.

She looked out, then back to me. She pushed me up against the wall harder. "And who are you?"
Her voice was very intimidating.

"My name is Christian." I choked.

She stepped back from me a moment. "Wait, are you... Christian Andrews?" She asked.

"Yeah...?" I was about to follow up with a question but the young woman pushed me against the wall and pressed her lips to mine, deeply. I opened my eyes wide. She rolled her tongue across my lips and then stepped back.

She smiled at me. "It's an honor to meet you sir." She saluted me.

I saluted back in confusion. "Have... Have we met?" I asked.

"No sir." She smiled. "But I've heard all about you. They call you 'The boy that survived'."

"They?" I did not understand.

"Everyone. Everyone who survived had fled to Asia. We received a transition from an unknown source a little under a week ago. The message was hard to hear, but we could make out the name 'Christian Andrews,' and 'I have survived'." She spoke at a mile a minute.

I peered at her with my deep blue eyes. "Wait," I shook my head. "You actually received our message?"

The girl nodded.

"So that means..." I looked at Gavin. "Morgans radio worked." I smiled. "It actually worked. What is your name?"

"Samis, Hannah Samis sir." She saluted me. "First class private, marines sir."

"Enough of this sir bull shit, just call me Christian." I shook my head. "How.. How did you get here?"

She looked out through the glass door. "We arrived in a helicopter large enough to carry eight people."

I smiled, then I looked to Gavin. I had an idea. "Tell josh we won't need his wire cutters anymore. I have a plan." I looked back to Hanna. "Thank you so much." I kissed her frantically, then headed for the door.

I was stopped though. My attention was drawn to Josh. He was screaming. I turned and ran to find him. What I saw next was an utter display of sadness.