SEQUEL - Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

The Aussie helped her hide the morning sickness and she made up excuses for Joanna's lack of energy and her general tiredness. All side effects of her father's death as the two women claimed, but it was far from it. Of course, her father's death burdened and stressed Joanna, but it didn't leave physical impairments, only mental ones. Andrew seemed to sense that something was a miss, but he had learned to not question Kiwi and Joanna if they were up to something together.

"It's time to make some decisions," Kiwi told Joanna softly, her hand resting on the Austrian's to provide her with a bit of comfort, but Joanna's conflicted expression told Kiwi already enough.

"I will take a break from racing for the rest of the season and will go for adoption." The Austrian answered, her expression was still the same.

The younger Mercedes driver was not sure what to do, Kiwi knew that much. At first, they have spoken about abortion, but the thought was fast to be ruled out by Joanna. She didn't want to lose another child. They both knew she couldn't bear it. The option Joanna now thought about most was giving the baby up for adoption, even though Kiwi didn't believe for even a moment that Joanna would be able to bring herself to give her baby away. Not after wanting one for so long.

"Please, do tell Max before you make any harsh decisions." Kiwi pleaded with Joanna, but the Austrian shook her head, her gaze finally morphing into something else, but not the look of worried excitement Kiwi had hoped for, but a hardened front of bitterness.

The Austrian knew that people would say terrible things about her, should they ever learn that Joanna had been pregnant but didn't take a step back. She felt bad about it as well, but Joanna couldn't risk herself like this and there wasn't really much she could do anyway, so she listened to Kiwi.

The Aussie made sure Joanna took her vitamins, ate enough and generally took good care of herself and she did. Joanna had a few drinks since she had learned about the pregnancy, but they were all virgin-style. She tried, she did, but that didn't change the fact that Joanna wasn't good at it. Writing down what she ate and not drinking anymore was all she was capable of doing. And for now, that was enough. But soon, she would have to tell more people, make it publicly known and worst of all, she needed to tell Max about it. Max, who didn't want her back and who had a picture-perfect girlfriend.

"He doesn't want me. Having a baby won't change that." Joanna said, but Kiwi wasn't so sure about that. Max loved Joanna, after all, maybe all they needed was a push in the right direction, but she also understood that they believed it couldn't work ever again due to difficulties they had to face in the last year.

"Joanna, I'm not saying that to hurt you, all I want to do is help you, so you can believe me when I say that Max will never forgive you should you decide on anything without asking for his opinion. Do tell him as soon as possible. Promise me you will."

Max would be furious with her for not saying something earlier, for racing despite being pregnant, for risking herself and their child like that, Kiwi was sure about that. The Dutchman had always been protective over the Austrian.

"If you don't tell him for his sake, tell him for the baby's sake. The doctor asked us for the father's family medical history for a reason." She pointed out in the hope that Joanna would finally give up her stubbornness and simply tell Max.

Joanna was almost three months along after all and time was running out. Finding a race suit which hide everything would be impossible soon enough and the doctor had told them that the five months mark was the maximum for Joanna to keep racing, even though he would have wanted her to stop right away.

"I know," Joanna muttered. "Can you come with me to the next check-up? Sitting alone in this waiting room between all these happy couples is depression." Joanna asked while rolling her eyes annoyed, earning herself a soft look, Kiwi nodded.