SEQUEL - Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

"Maybe I'm still not over who you are. I still think I'm special because you pay enough attention to know my name." James muttered even though he always tried his best to be professional about it. The woman he was working with had broken so many records and was the biggest inspiration for a whole generation of young women. People looked up to her, wanted to be her and James was aware of that, way more than Joanna herself ever could. For her, it was normal that people wanted a picture with her, or started crying out of joy when she made polite small talk with them. But for James, it was still special to see what effect Joanna had on a crowd.

Smiling at James, Joanna thought about telling him that she also knew the names of his wife and their daughter, but in the end, she let it go. James valued professionalism over everything and had never even thought about talking about his family with Joanna once.

"What do you think how long it will take them before they confess their love for each other and leave me?" The Austrian asked while leaning back in her seat.

"Just because they like each other doesn't mean they can't do their job properly, JJ," James told her, but Joanna wasn't so sure about that.

She had noticed the glances between the two of them a few weeks ago but ignored it. But then the touching started. Both of them were always touchy people, but now their touches lingered, and Joanna didn't like it. Kiwi was by her side since 2008. She had been the one to guide her through each of her seasons and so has Andrew. She didn't want this approaching change. She wanted everything to be like it used to be. Normal. The Austrian wasn't sure if she could take another change in her life at the moment.

"We will see about that," Joanna muttered as suddenly something soft pushed against her leg, looking down, she found herself smiling at a certain bulldog. Moving in front of the dog on one knee, Joanna hugged the furry monster, who tried to lick her face as Lewis approached them.

"Sometimes I feel like you like him more than me," Lewis said, a green smoothy in hand and Angela right behind him.

Smiling up at the owner of the bulldog, Joanna let out a little huff. "Oh, certainly. Animals are better than people. Even though you're one of the better people."

Rolling his eyes, Lewis had to nod in agreement, before he took the free stool which James offered him, Angela taking the other one.

"Are you guys already working on the setup?" Angela wanted to know from James while both Mercedes drivers were gushing over the bulldog.

"Yeah, nothing better to do at the ungodly hour." He agreed while Joanna moved to take her seat again. Her night-black Mercedes jacket tightly pulled around her body as she crossed her arms in front of her chest for warmth.

"I meant to ask you. What do I need to do if I have an official request for the FIA council?" Lewis asked after taking a sip from his green smoothy which caused Joanna to look at him confused for a moment before answering.

"An official request? Can I ask what about?" The Austrian quizzed because different requests go over different people. Everything with sustainability went over Nico Rosberg, matters of the representation and PR appearances were handled by Nelson Piquet, concerns of mental health and the lower Formula series were Joanna's job. Legal matters were all Mika and Damon's domain.

"I had this idea about a new racing series," Lewis said. He already had a name for it. Extreme E. The aim of the race series is to illustrate the already visible consequences of climate change at particularly affected locations. It also aims for gender equality, so a team always consists of one female and one male driver.

"Well in that case you have to speak to Max. He's chief innovation officer." Joanna told Lewis earning herself a laugh from the older Brit, but as he saw Joanna's expression, he know that she wasn't kidding.