SEQUEL - Chapter 09

Start from the beginning

"It was a ... pleasure." He addressed them before offering Max his hand, which caused the Dutchman to take it.

"Take care mate," Jenson said before he vanished in the crowd in the direction of the bar.

<><><><><><><><>

Looking after Jenson all Joanna could do was shake her head with an amused smile on her lips.

"I guess he wasn't enjoying himself much," Max said to Joanna. They stood a little apart from their actual place. Joanna took a few steps back so Jenson could say goodbye to Max and instead of moving back when Jenson was gone, Max followed her the few steps. The few steps left enough space for some other people to take in between them and the rest of the group which left them alone for a moment. Hovering close together to understand each other over the loud music.

"Sometimes Jens's too loyal for his own good." Joanna had called back over the loud music, causing Max to laugh, an honest laugh she hadn't seen in so long before his expression suddenly changed.

"Can we talk?" He asked causing Joanna to give him a confused look. They had talked the whole night. Talked and smiled and everything seemed to be alright again. They were good, they were friends now. Talking about this now would only hurt them. Things were like they were. Not alright but real. For Joanna this was enough. She had to endure Kelly, but she was allowed to laugh with Max again. After so long, he gave them this part of their relationship back, he couldn't take it for her again. It would be unfair.

"But we are talking, Max." She pointed out, her heart beating fast. She knew where this was leading and going down this path, Joanna wasn't sure she was strong enough for it. But the Dutchman shook his head, for him, this wasn't talking. This was ignoring their problems in order to have a moment of peace together. But they knew each other so well, three years of living together, of being together. Max knew Joanna better than himself.

"Not the way we should." The Red Bull driver pointed out again which caused Joanna to look over her shoulder once facing the harbour of Monaco.

"But not here." She said weakly which caused Max to let his hand gently brush against her to have her full attention before he walked away. Watching him for a moment, Joanna knew where he was going. He also still remembered what they had done the years before in his driver's room on the energy station. Exhaling slowly, Joanna followed him, not noticing that Kelly's gaze had followed her.

Opening the door and stepping inside, Joanna closed it right behind her, flipped it lock, before leaning against the door. Max was sitting on the bed-like thing, his gaze directed on his intervened fingers before he looked up at Joanna.

"Hey." The Austrian whispered not expecting Max to hear her over the loud music, but as he muttered a 'hello' back she couldn't stop the corner of her mouth to move into a small smile.

"You wanted to talk," Joanna muttered after another moment of silence which caused Max to get up before he took a few steps until he was standing right in front of her. His finger itching to touch her, to cradle her cheek in his hand, to brush the tip of his nose against hers. To tell her that there was no point in holding her shield up, in wearing her armour. He had seen her bare and vulnerable, at her weakest and all he did was love her. Hold her and promise her that it will be better one day while he took care of her tender heart and wounded soul.

"Why did you allow this all to happen?" Max wanted to know. He wanted to hear her reasons. The thoughts she had before she broke his heart and ran away. The things which have motivated her to do so.

"When have you decided to leave me?" Max asked another question as Joanna still couldn't answer him. The truth was, she didn't know. She didn't know why she allowed all this to happen. She didn't know when she had decided to leave him. All she knew was that it had been a mistake. Her mistake.