SEQUEL - Chapter 06

Start from the beginning

"This behaviour is what scares Kiwi so much. One day she will go too far, blinded by her arrogance and running away won't be an option any longer." The Canadian said before he turned away from the team principal and walked over to where the Australian PR agent and assistant was standing. A bottle of water and a towel were ready for Joanna as soon as she would leave the car.

The Aussie smiled up to the tall performance coach before she handed him the towel and water bottle. Patting his upper arm, the older one of the two of them turned around and picked Joanna's backpack up before gesturing towards the car which had just stopped in the garage.

Andrew handed Joanna the water bottle and said something while the mechanics and James readied the car for the long runs. Kiwi was hovering close to them, listening but not speaking much. Her expression had changed as soon as the Austrian had opened the vision of her helmet. From happy to deeply worried. The Australian nodded at something Joanna must have said, before taking the water bottle that her driver had handed back to her performance coach.

Toto always thought that they were an odd team. Andrew was absolutely dedicated to Joanna's health and fitness, but he was emotionally distant from her. She was his client, and he was her coach, it was strictly professional even after all the years they had already worked together and the thing they went through.

Kiwi on the other hand was the complete opposite of the Canadian. She took care of the most personal matters for Joanna. The older woman was more like a mother than a simple PR agent and assistant and she worried so much every time Joanna got into a car. Every race, every session, every lap. Sometimes Toto wondered how she did it.

<><><><><><><><><><>

"Why are you still here, Kelly's waiting for you." Jos Verstappen told his son as he entered his driver's room without knocking, but his son didn't even flinch, not any longer. Max had been busy watching his qualifying over and over again before he moved to a certain Mercedes driver's onboards. Joanna found time, where Max couldn't which bothered him, which wasn't the only thing that bothered him about the Austrian at the moment, but it was the only thing he was ready to admit. 

"I'm not done for the day. Tell her to go back to the hotel alone." Max replied, before pausing what he was watching in Turn three. Slowing the video down, he went back a few seconds, before pressing play again. There it was. At least two-hundredths, her turn exit was better than his. 

Exhaling slowly, Jos got himself a chair, before turning it around, so the backrest was facing his son, who was starring at his laptop, before sitting down and putting his hands on top of the backrest before looking at Max with a raised eyebrow, but the younger Dutch didn't react to his father which caused Jos to reach out and take the laptop from his son, who protested, but there was no use. 

Taking one look at the car and the helmet on the screen, Jos knew who Max was watching which is why he closed the laptop and raised an eyebrow looking at his son. "Do you know how difficult it was to find a suitable girlfriend for you? Who understands what you do for a living and accepts that you are in love with another?" His father asked, but they both knew that he didn't want Max to answer. 

"Pay her a little bit more attention," Jos told his son which caused Max to huff. 

"Why, because you don't pay her enough money?" He challenged which earned him a murderous glance from his father. 

Jos had insisted that Max would ask Kelly out after he and Joanna broke it off shortly after New Year's eve because he had disliked the rumours about his son not having a girl at his side because he liked men better or that he was simply too busy fucking everything which was walking. Max did as his father had asked, but he didn't want anything else, but actually, he wasn't asked, before they announced their relationship to the world.