SEQUEL - Chapter 04

Start from the beginning

"Hello, there," Joanna muttered as she had leaned down to gently pat the lamb's wool, after setting her packed overnight travel beg on the floor.

"Does the lamb even have a name?" He wanted to know, trying to break the ice between them, causing Joanna to look up at him.

"Steak." The Austrian muttered, causing Mark to laugh loud and heartily, startling the little lamb which hide behind Joanna. He gave Joanna an amused smile, she almost got him, but as he noticed the Austrian's expression, he knew she wasn't joking.

"Not even you're that cruel," Mark said after a moment. Not smiling. His gaze was rather reproachfully. Who on earth thought that naming a lamb 'steak' was even moderately okay?

"That's not cruel. It's a name. It's a good name for a lamb." Joanna argued but Mark could only shake his head in amusement.

"It's a terrible name. God, I'm glad you didn't name our..." But he stopped before ending the sentence. Nevertheless, he caused Joanna to look up from the lamb she was patting to give Mark a sad but also regretful glance. Normally she would lash out at him, say something mean and try to hurt him with her words as much as he had just hurt her with his, but she simply didn't. There was no point in lashing out any longer. There was no point in being so angry all the time about something she couldn't change.

"I have to leave now if I want to be in Monaco on time," Joanna said, which confused Mark, he had braced himself for the most hurtful version of Joanna, but the Austrian simply seemed so defeated. There was no fight in her and it worried Mark. He didn't know her like that, it seemed as if she had given up.

"I will drive you to the airport." He offered but Joanna shook her head.

"You need to bring steak to my neighbour. I called so he knows you're coming. I will be on my way to Monaco alone." She said while writing something down, another address. Mark hated them all for sending them around looking for people as if he was a private inspector.

"I'm not sure I should leave your side." The Aussie said after a moment in which Joanna had handed him Steak. The lamb wasn't happy about being handed around. Blaring at Mark as soon as he was holding it.

"My father died and I needed a few days to myself, that's normal. I'm allowed to be normal every once in a while." Joanna said, before she got her rucksack and made her way over to the door, Mark hot on her heels.

He wanted to object, tell her that he would come with her, but in the end, he couldn't do anything against it. Joanna was right, she had every right to need some time to herself and a little part of him was glad that she didn't demand him to follow her because there was this feeling deep inside of him that he couldn't follow her where she was going any longer. Something deep inside him told him, that this was about to be it. Joanna wouldn't be his concern any longer. These times were finally over. And getting her to come back was his last move before settling down in life without Joanna ever on his mind. 

<><><><><><><><><><>

23rd May 2019 – MONACO

Stepping from the speed boat Joanna walked towards the entrance of the paddock, wearing a tight black Mercedes shirt and holding her turquoise Mercedes cap in hand while searching her backpack for her paddock pass. Finally finding it, Joanna left her rucksack hanging from one shoulder before swiping the card over the terminal to allow her entrance. She just put on her cap as a crowd of people already formed around her.

Pulling her cap more into her face, Joanna slung her arm around her backpack, resting it against her chest while she tried to get through the crowd to the Mercedes facility. She knew that everybody wanted to see her reaction, to take a look at her, this was her first official appearance since her father had died after all and not even the best paparazzi had known where the Austrian had spent the last few days, so now they wouldn't give her even one moment of peace.