Worried

(Kevin chapter-nya)

He said he would contact me when he got back. It's late, he should be back by now unless something happened again. No my communicator hasn't gone off about anything. Maybe I'm starting to blow things out of proportion and scaring myself. Possible.
Why do I care so much anyway? Edd's just a cleaner, may be an unwanted career and cleaner numbers are dwindling slowly but still. Cleaners only deal with shadow work no chance in the limelight no girls or fans running after him.
But, is he okay at least? Edd would have said something if he was staying over at his parent's house. Maybe the port ship was delayed, no not possible. They are computer controlled never late. Maybe he is back but just to tired to call or something, again no Edd always keeps an agreement.

I sat on my bed running a hand through my hair repeatedly. Mentally contradicting myself over and over while side wondering why I care so much. Looking at my clock it was nearly dawn, I've been at this all night.

I pulled off my glasses, rubbed my eyes, and slipped them back on. "Good grief, that dork better have a good excuse." I muttered, walking to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and stepped in.

Why do I care so much? Never cared before.... That was back then before I graduated when he got held back with the other Ed's. Sure I saw him occasionally when I visited but never really paid attention so why now?

I stepped out of the shower, despite the heated room I felt a chill shoot through me. Something's wrong, very wrong. Just what though.... I dried of and dressed in my uniform grabbing my tracking smokes (find out in the pic above-nya), my twin revolvers, traded my glasses for my contacts, and headed out. The chill stuck with me as I left my dorm building and walked down the sidewalk towards Edd's dorm.

Pretty good standing building for one of the lowest careers just a few floors shorter than mine. I walked in and retraced my steps from my last visit. The chill grew colder as I approached Edd's door, no doubt very wrong. I knocked on the wood and waited. Seconds ticked on turning into minutes, I knocked again a bit louder.
Soon enough I slid my ID card between the door and it's frame, unlocking and opening to door. The room was empty like no one lived here. The bed made nice and neat, his laptop on his desk, wardrobe practically bare, nothing missing from his weapons closet or private bathroom.
"Something's not right...." I muttered to the empty room. "Let's find him." Lighting up one of the tracking smokes, light red but not quite pink smoke slithered around the room.

After tangles and knots of smoke filled the room catching any trace of Edd it returned to the cigarette. Edd didn't come back last night. I left the room, the door automatically locking as I pulled it shut, and headed back down, then started for the transit port for Peach Creek residence.

Once I set foot on the pebbled pathway to my home neighborhood memories hit me like a cement brick. Me and Nazz walking around talking about who will be better in training. The Ed's not far off coming up with some scam to earn a few quarters. Like everyday the scams would end in wounded failure.

I ran over to Edd's house and knocked on the dark anxiously. The caretaker lady who looked out for all of us answered the door, "Oh, this is quite the surprise Kevin." She greeted, her eyes looking red like she was crying earlier.
"Yea, I'm just looking for Edd. He didn't come back last night so I'm kinda concerned." I explained.

The woman was silent, very wrong for sure. "Eddward was here but he left for the port. I'm not sure if he made it too the last ship." She said all the while not looking at me.

"You're lying." I spoke through gritted teeth. Her eyes instantly met mine, I noticed the blue in her eyes resembled Edd's. "Look I know something is up with Edd, he came here for answers and didn't come back. So, as his partner I need to know where he is."

The woman looked at the ground obviously debating what to do. Then looked around making sure no one was paying attention before ushering me in and sat me on the couch.
"Kevin, I'm sorry and I'm happy that you are worried about Eddward but for now please forget he exists."

I stared at her like she just asked me to do the hula. "What?"

"Please Kevin it's just for now. Eddward will come back eventually, right now he just needs some time to work out his issue." She spoke softly, her voice filled with concern for something other than Edd.

"Then tell me what this issue is." I demanded, my temper slowly rising.

She sighed and shook her head, "I am not allowed." I clenched my jaw biting back the urge to shout and pulled out my track smokes, lighting the one I used earlier. The smoke easily grabbed hold of Edd's scent, taste, something of him and slithered toward the door. I followed leaving the caretaker alone in the house. The smoke trail led to the sewer cap in the center of the neighborhood. I lifted it and jumped in.