24

You might be a boss but
We run this city

Mark made his way inside the still room, the awkwardness that encircled them made him feel like a stranger who was interrupting a group of companions— like a foreigner trying to adjust and fit in with the members, reminding him of how he felt when...

Mark made his way inside the still room, the awkwardness that encircled them made him feel like a stranger who was interrupting a group of companions— like a foreigner trying to adjust and fit in with the members, reminding him of how he felt when he was recruited into Pheonix about three years ago.

Except, this time the people he faced were no strangers to him.

Mark took Jay's place, facing everyone and only Yeri, Changbin, Yeonjun, Chaeyoung, Doyeon and Jay raised their heads and met his gaze while the rest stared elsewhere.

"Uh, about the plan, I suggest we go as Jay and Chaeyoung had planned." Mark began making Yeri roll her eyes, "If any abrupt situation occurs, I'm sure we can act accordingly."

"And what? Watch as our own members die?" Yeri remarked earning a glare from Hendery, "Watch your words Yeri, c'mon." He mumbled nudging her arm and she forcefully fell silent despite having numerous questions gnawing her mind.

"Obviously not. Twenty men plus the four Dragon members is all I am aware of, what they plan on doing is still unknown. We have to alter the plan based on the scenario at the arena, I can't possibly sketch one at this moment." Mark replied with his usual composed self displayed.

"Are you kidding me Lee? There's no way you don't know their plans- bet you keep getting updated on the insides. Are you perhaps trying to help Dragon instead??" Yeri questioned, eyes falling onto the boy who had his eyes roaming across the room.

"Mark I'm talking to you, I expect a fucking response." Yeri hissed, running low on patience at his ignorance.

"Why would I." Mark muttered, spinning around and walking over to close the agape windows and draw the curtains closer, "Plus, I haven't been in contact with any of them after I'd begun staying here."

"Can you not close the windows? I need some air." San pointed out, standing up to open them himself- his intention of wanting to oppose anything Mark did was clear but he didn't care if he was being offensive.

"No don't." Chaeyoung raised her palm at San who halted his steps before she looked at Mark who stood by the wall beside the windows, "Do you suspect Wooyoung's presence?"

"Yeah." Mark nodded, "I'm guessing he is probably somewhere around here," His eyes fell onto San's face as he said those words, capturing the boy's expression that soon morphed into realization, "Either Wooyoung is spying on us right now or he has someone updating him with our insides."

"And who could that be?" Yeonjun asked, sliding his glasses off his face, "Xiao. He had been the dealer for the Daegu bikers for the longest and it was managed by Hwi, so it's possible that they are closer than we assume." Mark responded.

"Right." Hendery hummed in agreement, "I don't see why Xiaojun is obliged to take our side or be loyal to us- he has no reason to either." He added, nodding to himself.

"I get it, yes, but we offered him everything he asked for." Yeonjun commented with a huff of frustration slipping his lips, "And what makes you think Dragon can't offer twice more than what we have?" Changbin's words made him purse his lips, earning a loud sigh from the informant.

"So what do you suggest we do about Xiaojun?" Lucas asked, speaking up for the first time and taking part in a meeting, breaking the everlasting silence from his side.

Mark thinly smiled, acknowledging his effort of indulging in the talk, "Nothing. We stay normal and act indifferent around him. But when we are at the arena I want one of us to always tail him around. He should not be set free without a company given any time."

"I can do that." Chaeyoung raised her hand, volunteering for it only to earn a shake of Mark's head in return, turning her down instead. "No, I need you to cover Youn." He paused as his own words dawned on him, eyes hastily flickering onto the girl who looked up and straight into his black ones for a brief second before they looked away.

"Soyoung. I need you to cover Soyoung." Mark corrected himself with a nod, attempting to ignore his heart that picked its pace at his mindless choice of words.

The two had torn apart, building walls around each other and detaching any connection they held, and the last thing he wanted to do was lengthen the already existing distance between them.

"Well, I can do that." Doyeon spoke up, looking at Mark and Changbin for approval and when the manager nodded she exhaled out in relief, "Is that it? Are we done?" She asked with an eager hand on the chair, ready to exit the room and crash onto her bed.

Ever since Mark had inadvertently addressed her as 'Youn', his mind could not think straight. He had long paused from paying attention to the ongoing meeting, isolating his mind from the conversation as he kept questioning himself- eyes glancing at the girl every two seconds once to study her expression.

Jay noticed the way the elder had spaced out, staring into nothingness and he softly tapped on the male's arm, "Is that it?" Jay muttered, jerking his head towards Doyeon who was still waiting for a reply.

Mark cleared his throat, pushing away his thoughts before drifting his focus back onto the meeting, "Um, I would like one change in the plan." His words made Doyeon, who almost stood up from her seat, slouch into her chair, her attention once again on the speaker.

"It's better we split into groups, that way we can cover larger grounds." Mark stated and earning a few nods he turned to Changbin, "Take over." He gestured with his hand before dragging a chair for himself and sitting down.

"Alright." Changbin breathed out, standing up with one hand in his pocket while the other stayed mid-air as he contemplated.

"Chaeyoung, Hendery, Soyoung and Mark make one bracket." Changbin's finger pointed at every mentioned name and only after he made sure to get a nod from Soyoung, he moved on.

"Since I had never encountered them face front, I want Yeonjun to take over the role of a manager and guide everyone throughout the race. Yeri will back Yeonjun up." Yeri and Yeonjun nodded- the informant busily scribbling the names onto the sheet of paper in front of him.

"San and I will be at Gate 2, all set with the cars. And, Lucas and Jay will have to keep an eye on the surroundings and input status updates of everything occurring in-and-around the arena to us, clear?"

"Yes." Was heard in unison from Jay and Lucas who glanced curiously at each other, looking forward to their teamwork as the two had never gotten the opportunity to work together before.

"The training kicks off from now on." At the manager's instructions, few groans—coming from the Kim siblings— were heard whilst the rest wordlessly nodded, a few even appearing enthusiastic earning a scoff from Yeri.

"And Soyoung, start with the training only after you are entirely healed. We can't risk your health." The girl nodded, taking a note of his words- staying silent as ever as she refused to utter a single word throughout.

"Meeting dismissed."

Another update on the way ;)

How do you all like the story so far? Any theories?? 👀