CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"You look breathtaking in that dress," he compliments.

"You flatter me too much My Lord,"

"I knew I made the right choice when I saw you enter the great hall. You will make a fine bride." I shy away from his words. He is dressed in his official attire with a red cloak flowing from his neck down his back, sweeping the floor. On his head sat a golden crown.

"shall we," He offered me his arm which I looped with mine. I give a chuckle nodding my head. He reminded me of my old man. Father would be his age right now. We walked out of the castle two guards following closely behind us. We chatted as King Hemsworth cracked jokes.

Everyone had already taken their position on the pitch standing in the presence of their ruler. A path was made for the king and me as we went up the roofed royal box with two seats set on it. I took my seat on King Hemsworth's right side. He gestured to everyone to take their sits as men entered the arena Orion was amongst them. They stood before us. Mithian sits beside me on the benches surrounding the arena.

"People of Oriondoth, I King Hemsworth welcome you all to today's tournament in honour of Lady Deirdre, my son's wife-to-be." I glance over at Orion whose eyes avert from me immediately. I internally smile at his reaction. He was staring at me, wasn't he? "Today's tournament with me timed and our winner will have the privilege of escorting her to the celebratory feast afterwards. Best of luck, May the best knight win."

Some knights depart leaving only two in the ground. They nod at each other before each puts on his helmet. In the first round, they all used quarterstaff. An hourglass was set as soon as the fight began Whoever shown the skills to advance by the time the sands pour to the glass below he would proceed.

During his turn, Orion's moves were calculated, and he showed no sign of struggle in the fight. Everyone cheered him on with excitement on their faces you would see how proud they were of the young prince, my betrothed. One by one they got eliminated the best ones moving to the next round which maces were used.

This was a rough round to the point I had to look away. I laughed when Orion got hit in the torso wishing I see his covered face. It must look ridiculous under that helmet. The tournament went on till evening leaving only two champions, Orion and one knight.

The final challenge was to take place the afternoon after. People had to get back home and prepare for the evening as they had relaxed their duties for the tournament. We had our dinner together, King Hemsworth, Orion and I.

"That necklace, where did you get it?" King Hemsworth asked.

"my mother told me a man had visited us when I was still a child and left it for me as a gift. I have always had it with me since."

"What of your mother and father?" I played with the fork saddened by the reminder of my parents. My eyes stung yet I never wanted to break down in front of them.

"my father is no more," they stare at me. "as for mother-" I choke, "I.... don't know of her condition."

"what do you mean?" he goes on to pry. I look up to him.

"I was sold into slavery by my elder brother and it has been years since I last saw her. I got saved by a kind man before things got out of hand."

"I'm really sorry you went through all of that," Orion says. I give a weak smile.

"Uh..I shall retire," I say getting up before tears stream down my face. Hurriedly, I head out closing the door behind me before lying on it. I compose myself blinking repeatedly to prevent the tears in my eyes from falling. I head straight to my chambers when I'm fully ready.