CHAPTER EIGHT

My sincere apologies guys for the delayed updates. I keep updating it as soon as I can.

                             ***
We drew out from the forest and found a dirt road with little grass on it. I was excited about my visit to the great kingdom I only heard from these two siblings and the rumors around our village. Mundric led us ahead the two siblings happy to have arrived at their destination. I could see the towers high up above from a distance. The curtain walls are the first to come to view, built to a considerable height high up. At its top were parapets and from where I stood I could see soldiers standing guard. It was a bit hard to see the extension of the wall to the side too much as it was surrounded by trees from the forest. People were leaving out the castle some women and men.

A troupe of soldiers followed seated majestically on horses as they trolled down the road. My eyes followed them in amazement. We approached the gatehouse where two soldiers stood guard holding out spears dressed in heavy armor. We weren't the only ones getting into the castle. Ahead of us was a man pulling a wagon covered with a ragged cloth.

We halt as his frisked by one of the men. We are allowed inside the walls and go on out our way. Am greeted by a crowd of children running around. Inside homes and businesses lined on unpaved streets. Signs with colorful pictures hung over the doorways of shops and businesses. Most streets were narrow as we took different turns, second-story houses jutted blocking sunlight from reaching those at the ground and part of the streets as they ascended the tiny path.  The square was full of people who were laughing, and chatting, women carrying their baskets walking around.

My ears caught metal being pondered. The barking of dogs, snorting pigs, cackling chickens, and different goods paraded along the streets. I spun around looking fascinated at everything. It was extraordinary, out of this world.
The population was massive so different from my tiny village. From where we stood I could see the castle's walls far head standing with so much might and intriguing command. Life at the castle would have been amazing am sure. Being here was a chance to see more of what life had to offer not to mention great opportunities.

"This is the lower part of the city. We leave here. There are two entrances into the kingdom because it's vast." Yrsa explains. The houses here were not second-story like those ascending towards the direction of the castle.

"As you go on forward to the upper part of the city you get closer to the castle walls," Mundric added. "But to go into the castle you also have to pass through another gatehouse, which is the main entrance. Lucky for us, the main market day is on Thursday so they will be open to everyone."

"Why would they open up on such days?" I ask.

"The king has a day to give back to the kingdom so after every full moon he has traders from all over the world come to the kingdom to bring in their goods for people to buy. It's also the day the nobles get to buy new exotic merchandise. For those who can't afford to buy, the likes of us we just go watch the new stock of items brought and if you have saved enough money well," Mundric says.

"he does sound to be a generous king," I say still looking around.

"Indeed," Yrsa answers.

We walk on by till we halt in front of a cottage. On both sides, there's a small hedge made from sticks to contain the flock of chickens inside. Mundric knocks at the door. As if the host was standing guard waiting to hear one, the door creaks open. A tall dark-haired middle-aged man comes into view. His face plastered with a temporary grin. He greets us all after which Yrsa introduces us both.

"Owen this is Taliyah a good friend of ours, Taliyah this is my betrothed, Owen." I smile warmly at him nodding. He steps aside to let us through.

"am sure you three are exhausted." He says his voice a bit pitchy as he takes our bags. He shows us a place to sit. The cottage is a bit bigger divided into two rooms just like home. Everything is similar to back home only that there's another bed close to the door. Small windows are visible as the door stands between them.