CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I see them gasp looking at me. My eyes closed I turn around to face the mirror. I breathe nervously eager to see what the outcome is like. I let my lids slide upwards. My hand goes up to caress my cheeks. Mithian had poured some liquid into my eyes and used some oil on them. She said most ladies use them to make their eyes beautiful and since I arrived my eyes looked tired. I trail down the black gown I was dressed in, whose houppelande off-shoulder sleeves that widened and opened from my elbow downwards, were made from rich embroidery that ran to my chest. Rich silvery sequin embroidery branched in the middle of my partly exposed bosom running down my torso in different directions. The tailed gown's slit led up to mid-thigh length leaving a bit of my skin revealed. My neck was adorned with very expensive jewelry matching earrings and bracelets. On my feet were open black sandals. They were so comfortable. My hairdresser did an excellent job while styling it before placing a circlet as a finishing touch. I fluttered my lids a couple of times when my vision blurred. Oh! Mother how I wish you were here to see this. To witness a day I have never even dreamt of.

"You look like a queen," Mithian says. I chuckled, snorting at her obnoxious compliment. No way a peasant girl like me could get this type of respect and treatment. It felt wrong if not illegal. Who was I kidding? A pig is a pig no matter what dress you put on it or the perfume you use on it, it will always be a pig. I did not deserve any of this. My arm reaches out to touch my reflection when the door is knocked. Speechless Mithian allows the soldier entry. He delivers his message leaving immediately.

"It's time," she said darting at me. I swallow nodding unsure about everything. We head straight to the great hall as Mithian called it. We halt at the large front doors. I turn to Mithian my face nothing but a cry for help. There was no way I could get on with this. From the other end I can hear clamoring, the room must be crowded. Calm music plays from the other side. My weight shifted from one leg to the other, my fingers playing to calm my shaken nerves.

"You don't have to be nervous," Mithian addresses. Be modest, I may not know what's taking place but I'll be right there for you. Remember be honourable, act with conduct and class."
Her words sooth my soul however I got it irritating butterflies in my stomach. I signal to the guards to let me in. Exhaling in a raspy manner the wider they got. Raising my head high in confidence I entered the crowded room. I took this as an opportunity to look around. The massive great hall was lit up by millions of candles on each side of the room where long tables filled with exotic foods from cheer to peach, loaves of bread, roasted chicken, a whole roasted boar whose mouth was stuffed with an apple, pastries centerpieces in the middle, candle seated on long designed metal candlesticks. I cannot mention them all but there were lots and lots of food.

From where I was I could see a chatting Orion with his friends before someone alerted him of my entry. He licked his lips before words fell from his mouth. A blind man could see how much he ogled. The voice inside my head giggled telling him to go on even though he couldn't hear it out loud. He is dressed in a tunic carrying gold lacework and rich embroidery, black trousers, boots, and a belt. To top it all up he wore a long red cloak bearing the kingdom's coat of arms. His shoulder-length hair was neatly combed. Ahead of me was the high table. Like my room, the walls had decorative tapestries as well as heraldic flags and banners proclaiming the importance of the eminent assembled guest. Speaking of heralding flags bore the kingdom's coat of arms which was a black dragon on a red background and crowns on each edge of the flag. The banners were nothing to miss once you were in the room as they were in visible spots around the room.

Then he showed up, the great Lord, his royal highness, King Hemsworth. He was dressed the same as his son, his hair grey with age. His hair was short with a crown nestled on it. The ear-to-ear grin on his face was impermeable. I reciprocated the same as I walked up to him. Orion who was not over his shock stood next to his father speechless I had to take matters into my own hands.