25 | What A Cocky Guy~

Start from the beginning

She smiled and nodded without looking at him. "I am just so blessed to be alive. So blessed."

He could tell she was joking, but he refrained from commenting. Instead, he switched onto the next topic.

He clapped his hands together. "Here's what we're going to do. When we get back to the capital, you will disguise yourself as my sister and my uncle's niece who had just returned from the province after twelve years. You can keep your name but will adapt to being called as Seren of the House Koi, Lady Koi, Lady Seren, or Young Master. Although your hair is much darker than mine, we could still pull it off since mine is more on the orange si—"

"Wait a minute, why do I need to do any of those??" What is he babbling about?? Disguise? She remembered that she still had a deal with Nero. It just so happens that their destination after leaving this train was to Reknay where they agreed to meet. What Lazardo was spouting might hinder her from her plans with him.

"I'm certain that I could help you if you want to keep venturing around."

"And how is that?"

He sighed, like he was tired of explaining. "You're not from this world, right?"

She froze. Her body was dominated by chills. She stared at him, in a loss for words. "How did you...?"

"I can only theorize about your situation unless you tell me yourself, but it's a well-known fact that other realms exist and that you might be from... not from here." He observed her reaction, confirming whether his suspicions were true or not. "I know what magic in this world feels like, and yours feels like an entirely different being. You're not a Fae, are you?"

Her eyes went dark. "How dare you?" How could he mix me up with those demons.

He raised his hands. "I was just making sure, but judging from your reaction, I can assume that I got most of the story right. However, the issue here is that there's a group of people that you need to avoid at any costs. They're quite skilled and, just like me, they would sense immediately that you're not from around here. If worse comes to worse, they'd think you were a spy and hunt you down."

The train experienced a few bumps, causing the passengers to rattle on their seats. Soon, it was quiet again.

"I haven't got a clue if you've heard of them before, but they're called the Ivy League." Seren scoffed at the ridiculous name. Ivy LeagueIvy, short for Iveneterra or Ivenian. Sounds like something only Ludo would do. Lazardo ignored her jest. "With disguising you as a part of House Koi, it would make much more sense."

"Why are you doing this?" She was asking him why he was helping her, or why he cared so much. Not too long ago they were complete strangers. They were still strangers, but with ties and knowledge about the other. Still, there must be something he wanted from her. She said as much.

Lazardo thought about his answer for a few seconds before he told her.

"Let's just say that a whole sleeping army needs your help waking up." He smiled.

•••

Back in House Koi, a very impatient Nique kept tapping his foot on the wooden floor in a continuous beat as he spread molten cheese on a slice of bread with a butter knife.

He sat on an extravagant cushioned single couch that was right in front of a floor-to-ceiling window, curtains hitched to the sides so that he would have a clear view of when Lazardo gets back.

He was bent over with his elbows rested on his knees as he inserted his full focus into cheese spreading.

He didn't know that cheese spreading took so much effort in perfecting. It must not leak on the sides at all costs and the whole surface of the bread must be coated with even and smooth cheese, covering all areas without missing a spot. Once he was satisfied, he carefully placed his creation on a small plate with four fingers. He gave himself about three seconds to admire his work before picking it up again. Finally, it was time to eat it. He brought it closer to his mouth and—