I held my sword close to my chest and held my breath in order to rely on my ears to pick up the orc's location. A gust of wind blew from behind me and I thanked my lucky stars again that the orc would have a harder time picking up my scent. I took a deep breath and slowly peered up from behind the rubble. The orc seemed to have disappeared entirely which only raised my guard more. It must have seen me and was waiting to strike.

Almost as if answering my own internal question, the orc jumped out of the rubble to my right and let out a scream. I let out one of my own and fell backwards in fear. My sword had dropped from my hands and, without taking my eyes off the orc, I felt around on the ground for my weapon. I let my eyes wander down and my stomach dropped as I realized the orc was standing on my blade. It seemed to notice my disadvantage as well and gave a smirk. It understood the situation and the advantage it had over me. It kicked the sword away from me and I crawled backwards in fear, immediately regretting my decision to go alone. The orc crept closer to me and I let out another cry for help. My body went cold as the orc slowly raised its sword and my mind went to my brother, then Thorin, my mother and father, the company, Gandalf. Their faces flashed before my eyes and I found myself feeling comforted by the fact that I had been loved by all these people. My whole life, I had always been loved and in my last moments on Middle Earth, it was comforting to know I lived my life to the fullest extent I could. I let my eyes close, ready for the inevitable but right as the orc's sword should have pierced my chest, its breathing halted and a warm liquid splattered onto my face. I wiped it away from my eyes and looked up in confusion. The orc still stood in front of me but a blade was pierced through its throat and blood leaked from its mouth and stab wound. Someone had saved me.

I pushed myself backwards, ready to thank my saviour and was met with a pair of familiar blue eyes I couldn't have been happier to see.

"Amrâlimê," The voice cracked.

My cheeks flushed, "Thorin."

The dwarf pulled me off of the ground and into his arms, one going around my waist and one cradling my head. Both of my hands tangled in his hair, happy his head was without a silly crown. My eyes filled with tears and I let them fall, tightening my grip on him.

"I feared I would never see you again," He told me, not making any motion to let me go.

"And I you. After what had happened, I feared the worst might happen to you, that it was too late."

"I fought the demons in my head and I would do it again to hold you like I am right now."

I let out a small sob, baffled that this was the same dwarf from only a day prior. I loosened my grip and he did the same, allowing his face to come into view of my own. I placed a hand on his cheek and he chuckled.

"You've got a little something," He started, bunching up his sleeve to wipe away at the blood on my face.

"That was your doing," I teased.

"Hey!" He put his hands up in defeat, "I saved your life."

I rolled my eyes at him, placing my second hand on his cheek and pulling him towards me. To my surprise he hesitated, pulling back and turning my face to the side.

"I did that to you?" He whispered, brushing his thumb against the small bruise on my cheekbone from his slap at the gate.

I nodded softly, "But I know it wasn't really you."

"Y/n," He looked me dead in the eyes, "I cannot put into words the apology you deserve from me. I am so terribly sorry for the pain I caused you, not just at the gate but since the moment we arrived at the mountain."

He paused, tracing his thumb along my cheekbone, my jaw, my lips.

"Amlanthi sulla astâ," He whispered, "You mean everything to me. And I will prove my apology in my actions."