5

I followed Thorin, Bilbo close on my heels, until we reached the front gate. The sun had almost set and, looking out, I noticed the city of Dale was lit with fires. What Dwalin had said was true, the people of Laketown had made it to Dale. I had hoped Bard and his family were safely among them. Whether Thorin would admit it or not, Bard put his family and his name in danger to ensure we got into the two safely.

"It's true," Bilbo said quietly from beside me.

I suppressed a smile, noticing the look of anger in Thorin's eyes.

"We need to build a wall," He told the group.

He grabbed a large stone, one that had been broken from the original wall after Smaug had flown through it. He placed it down and turned towards the rest of the company.

"I want this fortress made safe by sunup," He eyed the group, "The mountain was hard won, I will not see it taken again."

"The people of Laketown have nothing. They came to us in need, they have lost everything," Kili told his uncle, his voice shaking at the memory of the dragon.

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough their hardship."

"Thorin, come on," I pleaded, "You we're doing so well. You need to remember."

"Stop y/n," He said, pulling himself off of me, "Those who have lived through dragon fire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for."

The dwarves didn't continue pushing and instead grabbed what they could carry and began to build the wall. Thorin stood back, taking a spot beside me. He had a smirk on his face as he looked down to me.

"You look displeased," He said to me.

"I am Thorin."

"And why my sweet, you have everything you could desire. A safe place to sleep, me, and all the gold you could dream of."

"You are forgetting yourself again and it's becoming harder and harder to make you remember."

"I haven't forget you."

"But you have."

"How so? I know you. Your name is y/n Baggins. You like when I play the lute and you like the smell of rain. Your favourite colour is yellow and you like to watch the sun set."

"You don't remember who you are and without you, I don't know who I am. Without you, I don't exist."

"You are being emotional. I know who I am, I know who you are. I forget nothing."

"Thorin-"

He rolled his eyes at me and walked back towards the company. The wall was about one quarter of the way built now. He grabbed a large chunk of stone and threw it onto the wall.

"More stone. Bring more stone to the gate!" He shouted at them.

He made eye contact with me once more before resuming. I turned around, locking eyes with Bilbo before walking away from the group. If Thorin wanted to be an ass under the influence of dragon sickness, I'd treat him like an ass. I stomped down the hall towards his room. I would have slept elsewhere but I knew too little about the mountain and his room is where I stashed all of my stuff. The mountain was quiet and as a neared the hallway where the treasure lay, I changed my course. I headed towards the gold, unsure of what my plans were. I think ultimately I wanted to see how he would react to me going through his stash of gold.

"You know you shouldn't be here," Bilbo said from behind me.

I hadn't realized he was following me and part of me felt annoyed. I loved him but it was like I couldn't have one minute to myself.