13

*Y/N POV* TW: Minor graphic fighting scenes ahead

"Y/n!" Bard yelled, grabbing my arm and pulling me backwards. 

I looked back at him in surprise as he plunged his sword into an orc's chest. He pulled it out with ease and dragged me away from the battle.

"Bard, I'm sorry. I hate to be a burden," I told him, my voice raising to be heard over the clanging of metal.

"You're not a burden, but we need to get you something to fight with. What is your expertise?"

"My what?"

"What are you good at? Axe, sword, bow?"

"Sword, I can fight with a sword."

Bard nodded and looked around, "Do you know where Gandalf went?"

"No, he and my brother disappeared. Oh Gods, you don't think anything bad happened to them do you?"

"No. No, I'm sure they're alright. Let's head towards the town's centre."

After a brief look around, I nodded and followed Bard toward our destination. I made sure to keep close to him knowing that until I had something to fight with, my life rested in his hands. My stomach swirled and my thoughts made their way to Thorin. His eyes were full of so much hatred when he slapped me, I couldn't even recognize him. Nevertheless, while I wanted to be mad at him, I couldn't help but regret my choices. I should be with him in the mountain, not this far apart from him. I told him I'd be there for him until the end; was this really the end?

"Y/n!" Bard yelled again, pulling me from my trance.

"Sorry!" I responded, running to catch up with him.

"Please stay present, I need your eyes. I need you to be vigilant right now."

"You're right, I'm sorry. I'm just-"

"I know, you're thinking of Thorin. I don't blame you."

"I'll be vigilant, our lives are more important than my conscience right now."

Bard sent me an understanding smile and moved to pull me in front of him so he could keep a better eye on me. I understood his reasoning and I did my best to pull my thoughts away from Thorin. 

"Bard!" I heard a familiar voice shout from our left.

I whipped my head around and warmth filled my heart.

"Bilbo!" I ran to hug my brother, all the fear leaving my body at his being ok. 

"Gandalf, I'm happy to see you two alive," Bard told the two before us.

Gandalf patted Bard on the shoulder and the two exchanged words as Bilbo pulled us aside.

"I have something for you," He told me, reaching behind him.

He pulled out an elvish blade and presented it to me with a smile.

"I thought you could use this," He told me, handing me the handle of the sword.

"Oh Bilbo, it's perfect! I was starting to feel like a liability," I told him honestly.

I tested the weight of the sword in my hand and smiled at how perfectly it fit. The weight was just right and the height of the sword made me think it could have been made for an elven child. 

"Where did you find it?" I asked, holding the blade at eye level to judge its sharpness.

"I'm not sure if I want to tell you."

"Where was it?"

"Inside an elven warrior's chest."

"Oh my Gods! Bilbo!"