Chapter 25: Into the Tower

Molly leaned against Jude as they watched thunder roar in the sky. It wasn't raining, the sky just had flashes of light blast within the dark gray clouds. It was frightfully beautiful.

"Your mother...she's pregnant isn't she." Melody asked, who was sitting beside the two children.

Jude turns to Melody. "Uh...yeah...Cana said she'll have triplets."

"Oh. Is she a doctor?" Melody asked, not knowing Cana.

"Well...no...she's sort of like a psychic drunk."

"Oh..." Melody squirms in her spot. "Is she doing well?"

"Yeah...I guess...pregnancy was never easy for her of what I know. So I think she and my dad are a bit worried about what happens when she has three at once."

"Wait, could her life be in danger?"

Jude looks at his feet and clenches the fabric of his pants. "Maybe...dad won't tell me anything..."

"I'm sorry..." Melody said, patting Jude's head.

"It's okay. Mom's tough. She can handle it..." he clenches his fist. "I'm sure she can."

The look down the dusty road that floods with fog and the icy air. They hear footsteps and Jude jumps up.

Jerking his head around, he looks and sees a dark figure approach them. Jude lights a flame in his hand. "Who's there?"

A tall young man who wore nothing but black emerges from the foggy breeze. From his lips, he spun out the words. "Oh, Fairies."

Jude lights the fire, making it shine more brightly. "Who are you?"

"Tobias." he answered. "I'm not hiding anything. Calm down firecracker."

"Tobias...do I know you from somewhere?"

"Maybe...I've come into contact with many people. So I tend to misplace some of my encounters."

"Well...Tobias, what do you want?"

"I would like to get to the top of the tower, thank you very much."

"Why?"

Tobias tilts his head up, peering to the peak of the great tower of ice. Grinning, he mumbles, "I'm meeting someone at the top. It's about time me and her had a proper chat."

"Who? The only people in the tower are my friends and whoever made it." Jude secured his feet, still holding his hands up in defense.

"Afraid not, there are an awful lot of people in the tower, even without your friends. Lots of monsters, beasts, titans."

"Titan?" Molly asked softly.

"Molly, hush." Jude snapped.

"Yes, titans. Have you met one?" Tobias clicks his tongue. "You have haven't you, I can see the look in your eyes. You shivered at the word itself. When was it, little girl?"

"In...the tunnels...the ice monster...that's what capture me and Marigold..." Molly mumbled.

"Marigold? Figures you know her..." Tobias sighs. "You look just like her when she was your age...even act like her."

"You know Marigold?" Melody asks.

"Of course. She's the person I'm anxious to speak to. But she never lets me sit down with to have a chat."

"And I'm sure she's got a reason." Jude spat.

"Jude, he doesn't seem like a bad-"

"I don't trust him. Just look at him." Jude looks at Tobias' smug grin.