16

THEN

After what happened during the career fair, something drastically changed with how her fellow batchmates looks at her. It felt like she murdered someone. Is it because she got linked with the one and only Thomas Young?

When Monday hit, it's been a story going on, how Thomas Young helped the nerdy girl, Rosemarie Evelyn Houston. It wasn't really a big thing, but the thing is, they never had an interaction for the longest time, suddenly they're like friends. In addition, they are like the main characters of a book with a popular guy and an ordinary girl trope.

From Monday to Friday, the production of their big project stopped for a while since they worked up for the last weeks. Both Ro and Thomas haven't seen each other. All the year 10 was busy catching up with their lessons and activities.

Wednesday came, new rumors were spreading. Ro heard Rachel Garner's name, but she doesn't exactly know what the rumors about.

Ro entered the room, all the students inside looked at her, including Samantha and Phoebe.

"Hey, you heard the news?" Phoebe said when she walks up into her chair.

"What news?" Samantha and Phoebe looked at each other. "Thomas and Rachel are dating." Said Samantha. As Ro heard what she said, it took her a few seconds before realizing the news she heard.

"Oh. Good for them." She lets out a small smile. Both Phoebe and Samantha doesn't know if Ro was fine. But Samantha knows she isn't.

The rest of the day was smooth, aside from Ro who from the start confuses on what she had to do within the day. She was clearly distracted. Samantha helped her throughout the day.

Lunch came, they decided to eat on the cafeteria. When Ro walks up inside, she almost bumped into Thomas and Rachel. He opens his mouth to tell something, but she continued to walk.

Next week came, the production resumed. Ro doesn't know if she is the only one who feels this but, the atmosphere is lacking pure bliss in exchange of awkwardness. Thomas got assigned to the marriage booth, then later Ro was added from the area. They didn't talk. Their members felt the awkwardness that fills up the room, so no one dared to talk.

Samantha asked her if she was okay, she said yes. Why wouldn't I?

While arranging the wardrobe, Ro wants to talk to him. Perhaps, ask her about Rachel? But why would she? She can't ask him that. She's not in the right position to question him.

While working on the final touches of marriage booth, Thomas approached Ro. "Can we talk Ro?" she didn't hesitate to take a glance in him. This is what she was waiting, for someone to make the first move. I hate myself for wanting him to initiate.

She opens her mouth to talk, "Ro can you come to my office now?" Ms. Jones was standing in the doorway. Ro looks back into Thomas, then at Ms. Jones. Sorry Thomas.

"Sure, Ms. Jones." She stood up. She's scared to meet his eyes, so she didn't encourage herself to take a glimpse on him. I'm scared to fully regret what I had chosen.

In the next few days, nothing happened. The whole production doubled their effort for their week-long foundation celebration. All of them were excited to launch their activities, booths, and stalls. From the last event, from the career fair, they were able to accumulate 10, 000 dollars, ninety more.

Today is Saturday, last day. All year 10 students gathered on Ms. Jones' classroom. This will be their last meeting for the big project.

"At last. We did it. For weeks of working, helping each other, I couldn't be more proud of you all. Next week, keep working because that will be the real thing. Execute, produce a lot of sales, do whatever you can to accomplish your big project." They all clapped their hands. Ms. Jones is right, next week will be the real thing.

"Ro, we're out of people." Maddie announced when she walks into the hotdog stall. Ro turned her head as she flips the hotdog buns.

"What happened? All of us have our own designated area. It's impossible to-" Maddie cuts in. "Layla called for people to help her with her 'stuff'. Almost all the guys from the arcade machine left for Layla. We're understaffed."

Ro didn't hide her disappointment. She passed the orders to Phoebe and Samantha. She'll be back she said.

Ro walks around their stalls, booths, and machines. She analyzed what was going on and what solution she could do about the situation. For hours, Ro helped to minimize the complications within their big project. She tried to maximize their resources; she equalized the number of staff to create an equal distribution of work force.

When she was about to finish what she was doing, Thomas is fast approaching her. "Ro, I'm sorry."

"You better be. Can't you control your friends? Don't they realize how important our project is." She left. Thomas pulled her arms. "Ro, wait."

"I don't have time for any sh*t Thomas. If you're tolerating them,you're part of the problem. I don't need any of that in my life."