14

THEN

That night Ro spent the rest of her day fixing her schedule and planning for the career fair. She didn't tell her mom about the career fair that dinner. She doesn't know why, perhaps she was scared to be criticized.

She needs to redirect herself, so she won't lose her eyes on the prize- a perfect and planned future. That would surely make her mom happy, she thought.

For two days, the production continued but as soon as she saw Thomas on Thursday, she refrains to allow a small-scale of distance among them. Now that she is aware of that little affection, she has for him. It cannot be.

In a short span of time, he noticed how she made distance. He refused to accept that, that's why all day long from Thursday and Friday, he made efforts for them to talk. Since he noticed the drastic changes in her behavior, he cannot let her go back again. He made her smile. That's what he thought.

Ro was tasked on the booths. Not that she cannot do it, but he offered some help on the hammering work. Instead of Ro answering to him, someone from his class answered. Then, she left the designated area and went through the stalls.

"You keep on ignoring him. Why, what happened?" Ro doesn't want to answer Samantha's question, but she thinks that it would be mean to not.

"Nothing, I just want to... you know keep myself productive." Samantha looked at her with a doubting look, she shrugged.

"Whatever it is. Hope you two work things out."

If Samantha only knew what he did, and she have felt. She wouldn't say that. Thomas was clearly a distraction. She doesn't need any for now.

Ro made a way to change the topic, so she asked, "What's your plan for career fair tomorrow?" Samantha stopped painting the signs, and hums.

"I don't know maybe chef." Ro replied cool. Samantha asked her back and she confidently answered, "Chemist? Or any medical field." They both chuckled. Okay maybe I wasn't really confident.

"I'm not trying to lead you but if you haven't figured it out. It's fine. It's valid." Samantha patted her back, she smiled. "After all, we're still young, right?" Ro couldn't agree more but she didn't nod.

A loud shattering noise distracted the year 10 students. Someone near Ro and Samantha accidentally slipped the full-length mirror from its grip. This will be used for the marriage booth. Why did someone bring the mirror when our foundation is- Ro rolled her eyes and ran through Claire, from Thomas' class.

She didn't hesitate to help on picking up the shattered pieces on the floor. Few students help to pick up, then someone came along with a broom. But then a boy from Ro's class carelessly ran along them. He hit Phoebe on the back which made her lose balance. She somehow bumps into Ro who was beside her. Then, she bled.

"Oh my God Ro! I'm so- Let's go to the clinic!" as Phoebe was almost screaming. They noticed a person who ran to the clinic. "Did someone go to the clinic?" Phoebe asked, the guy who hit her said yes. But Phoebe continued to help Ro stand up.

Ro tried to remove the glass that went through her skin, but she cannot. Phoebe helped her.

"Here." They both looked at him. Thomas?

"Ro let me. Let's clean you first." Ro didn't move, she thinks someone glued her on the floor, but impossible. She just cannot move because she can't believe. Why would he-

Thomas holds her arms to help her walk and to support her. He guides her on the wash area to clean her hands. It's kind of embarrassing.

"Why didn't you wait for someone to sweep the floor? Look what happened to you." he closed the sink, then guides her on the nearest bench. He gently dabs her wounded hands with a gauze pad that has a saline solution.

Ro pulls her hand back. "I can do it myself-"

He took the medicine kit, "No. I'll do it." She surrendered and let him. Ro didn't look at him, but she felt how gentle Thomas is as he puts a clean cloth to dry her hands. He then applied the sterile dressing.

"It's done. How are you?" he didn't let go of her hand. Ro looks at his hand on the top of hers. He looks at it too, but he still didn't remove his hand.

Ro did. "I'm fine. You can go back to-"

"Why are you avoiding me? What did I do Ro?" she shakes her head. "No Ro. This could not be nothing. You've been avoiding-"

"Just drop the act, Thomas." They are both looking at each other. Thomas doesn't want what he has heard from her. All this time, he knew they're well, okay...

"What act Ro?" she laughed a little. A sarcastic one. "I don't know. But please let me be. I'm- I'm not fine." Why is this like a breakup?

We haven't started, yet it looks like were finished. This is what I want right?

"Fine. I'll always be here. I'll wait for you Ro." She looks back at him and he smiled.

During dinner, Ro remained distracted by what happened from the past few days. Her mom asked her what was wrong, but she didn't say anything. Then she opened about the career fair, that's when Ro say that the career fair will be held tomorrow, Saturday.

Her mom was so shocked because for days, Ro didn't say anything about that. She was looking forward to it. But Ro kind of handled it by telling her that she just knew, and she is ready for it. When she was asked what she will go for, she said doctor. Just as expected, her mom is happy.

Career fair came, year 10 decided to take the opportunity to sell some product to be an additional profit for their big project. Good thing the principal approved their plan.

Phoebe, Samantha, and Ro was the one selling right now, 10 a.m. Samantha came to school as chef, she came as a doctor. While Phoebe came as a photographer. Just like Samantha, she goes for something easy to wear.

As the three were busy working on their lemonade stall, they all saw how dramatic the elite group's entrance was. Thomas came in wearing a black tuxedo. He looks good.

Around lunch, at exactly twelve o'clock the three will be replaced by another people to continue selling lemonades. But before that, he came in to buy. How unfortunate, Ro was the one standing near the customers to get their orders, while Samantha and Phoebe are assigned to the money and kitchen stuff.

"Hello Ro. Nice seeing you today." She ignored his statement and proceeded on, "What can I do for you sir?" he grinned. "What's your prognosis?"

"What?" she said, his grin grew more. "What's your prognosis Doc? Can you heal my heart?" he acted like he's having a heart attack. It took her a minute to understand what he is saying. She smiled while shaking her head.

Can you stop smiling like that? I think it's me who needs to hear the poor prognosis.