Ch11. Mutual Agreement

I was racing down the streets, not caring about if I was picked up by traffic cams or the police. All I cared about was finding her.

I had quickly pulled up the feeds from the hospitals surveillance system. It showed a white Cadillac SUV, pulling out from the garage around 20 minutes ago. I had tracked it to the old industrial zone at the edge of the city. But I had lost it, due to the lack of any surveillance what so ever in the area.

Still I drove there, not knowing what I would find. But hoping that they were holding her somewhere there.

I checked the nav, I was approximately 2 minutes out. Almost there. I decided to launch the drones and send them ahead.

LOOK OUT.

I looked up to see a semi backing up into the road. It was less than 2 feet in front of me. At this rate I was going to crash into the wheels. Without thinking I swung the wheel, sending the car into a spin and doing a cool little donut as I passed under the truck. Felt like a moment from a fast and furious movie.

Boy was I glad I took the corvette, and thankful for it's precision steering, handling and how low it was. I could hear some workmen shouting, but I couldn't care less. Besides they were already fading in the distance.

A short while later I had arrived at the industrial zone. I tried to scan for tracker I had placed on Elena, but there was nothing. Tracker history showed the signal ended I'm one of the buildings here. Which means they were definitely here. Probably stopped to deal with the tracker and moving on. Or they were waiting for me here. Assuming I'm the one they want.

I got to the building, it was an old warehouse with three out of it's four doors shut with rusting padlocks. The fourth one however had no padlock and had signs of recent use. I drew my gun and cautiously approached it, straining to listen for any sounds. I checked the sides and back of the building, and found nothing but a single door in the back. I peeked in and there was no sign of any one.

I let myself in gun raised. The door opened into a small office, which led into a hallway. The hallway was lined with windows with a view of the rest of the warehouse down below. I cautiously looked in to find the place empty, except for some tire marks, a chair and some duct tape.

The tire marks were consistent with the SUV, and what ever was left of Elena's phone aka my tracker. But that was it. I stood there looking around, feeling defeated. Then there it was. Another buzz this time a little less intense, moving from left to right. Pulsing in two second intervals. Even more strange was that it felt like it was pulling me in that direction.

Maybe it could lead me to her. So I got in the car and went in the direction of the buzzing. It led me on a dirt road into the country side, and soon I could make out farms and large estates. The buzz got stronger when I drove by one particular estate. So I went ahead and parked out of sight. I launched the drones and took cover in a bush nearby, waiting for the drones to finish scanning.

Few minutes later they were done. It showed 12 men roaming the compound. Armed with pistols, and wearing light body armor. There were twice as many men in the house, with a possibility of more. There were also tire marks that matched those of the SUV, leading to a storage unit in the back.

I went over my plan, and got ready to enter the place when I heard the bushes rustle beside me.

"I thought you might show."

I spun around gun aimed at the source of the voice. Knowing who before I saw her.

"Veronica." I said with murderous intent. "We had a deal."
"Yeah we still do. I'm here to help."
"Sure you are. The fuck you want?"
"To help? I just said that."
"Why?"
"First. Let me clarify that I had absolutely nothing to do with this. But I do know who's behind this."
"Who?" I asked as my hair flared briefly.