Ch3 b. Moths

Wednesday, 7:00am

I woke up with a start, at the sound of clinking metal. Elena let out a startled yelp.

Crap.

I forgot she spent the night here. I was used to sleeping here alone for the last month, plus the events of the previous night had definitely taken a toll on me.

"Well good morning to you too"
"Sarcasm?" I inquired out loud.

She gave me a look that suggested I had called her a monster. Then ignoring me, she went back to setting out the food.

I slowly got out of bed and walked up to her. Cuddling her from behind.

"Good morning baby" I whispered as I kissed her neck. "Sorry for scaring you."

She just hummed. Still ignoring me.
I wasn't about to give up. So I tried again.

"That looks good" I said looking at the attractive serving of toast with fried eggs and a lovely spreading of salad and jam. Next to that, a glass of orange juice. My favorite breakfast.

"Mm mmm. I don't think I tell you I love you enough."

She chuckled and turned to face me. Observing me like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
I tried to maintain a look of absolute seriousness. She wrinkled her nose at me. She wasn't buying it.

So I tried to kiss her, only to end up kissing her palm. She'd put it up at the last moment to stop me.

"Brush first"
"Meh" I pouted.

I went into the bathroom and brushed then washed my face. I checked my back in the mirror, it was clean.

"So that really happened?" I asked the mirror. My reflection staring back at me like the dumbass I was being.
Thinking back over the events of the previous night, the heat I was feeling and the embers from my surgery, I had an idea.
So I tried to make a ball of fire in my hand. And after a brief moment of nothing it appeared with a crackle.

"Sick"

I put it out and walked out of the bathroom. I jumped back in shock as Elena came flying towards me.
Wrapping her arms around my neck, she gave me a long deep kiss before pulling away. Laughing like an over excited 6 year old.

I stood in bewilderment watching as she fell on the bed, still laughing. What just happened?
I thought she was mad at me? Wasn't she?
Regaining my composure, I pounced on her and started tickling her.

Her laughter got louder and more high pitched. Causing my ears to ring.
I decided to shut her up. So I kissed her. She kissed me back. And just as she was really getting into it I pulled away.

"The foods getting cold" I said smiling victoriously as I went to eat. She just sat there in shock, staring at me as I ate.

Payback really does feel good. I thought.

Finishing the delicious meal, I checked my phone. 8am. Huh.
I was up earlier than my usual 10am. I shook my head, disappointed in myself.

That was the least of my worries though. There were dickheads to find and answers to be nicely coerced out of them.

I moved back to sit on the bed. Elena cuddled me from behind, resting her head on my back. I felt the warmth of her body, as her chest rose and fell slowly as she breathed. My t-shirt she was wearing, doing absolutely nothing to conceal her warmth.
A tingling sensation went through me, every time her breath fell on my bare back.

We sat like that for close to an hour and a half. This was nice.

Then it hit me, just how truly I wanted.
No. Needed her.
She was my life now, my reason for existing.

Then I remembered today was Wednesday, she'll be going to work. She had normal work days on Mondays and Tuesdays, night shifts on Wednesdays, Thursdays were of days then Friday was a half day.

"Baby. Would you be going to work today?"
"No. I called the director and asked for the rest of the week off"
"Really?"
"Yeah. He agreed. He's taking it out of my leave though."
"Don't you have like two months of leave?"
"Yep. 6 weeks of unpaid leave and 2 of paid leave."
"Okay. Hopefully we'll have this resolved by the weekend."

Well that was one worry of my mind.
I was thinking about the resort and how to find the hitman. If only my drones had been operational.

"Drones" I said excitedly.
"What?" Elena asked groggily. She must have fallen asleep.
"Drones" I repeated, too excited to stop. Nor care to lower my voice. I stood up as I continued
"The resort has surveillance drones. They probably saw something."

She was staring at me still trying to process what I was saying. I finally realized she was really sleeping.

I sat back down, calmed my self then said in a softer voice.
"Baby I've got to go check on something. I'll be back in a few."
"Take care."

I nodded and kissed her on the forehead. I tucked her in.
Had a quick shower then dressed up picking up my phone and laptop on my way out.

I took my Corvette stingray and left. Making sure to activate the security system before leaving.

I called Janet on my way to the resort. I hadn't spoken to her in a while.

"Hello?" She said cautiously. I had called over an encrypted line. So she didn't know it was me.

"Hello there, my young Padawan" I said.

She had become my understudy after I left the resort. She was good with tech and wanted to learn more, that's why she was assigned to me in the first place. She'd spent two years studying with me, becoming like a younger sister to Elena and I. More so with Elena than me. They'd become very close. Maybe a bit too close.

"Sensei San, is it really you?"

I cringed at the words. I had asked her to stop calling me that, but she was too stubborn to.

"Yes, Janie it's me."
"Long time no hear. Was beginning to think sensei had forgotten about me"
"I'm sorry about that. Was a bit preoccupied."
"For a whole year?"
"Yeah"

She chuckled clearly not believing me.
I didn't care. I knew she was in constant contact with Elena. So she should know that I have infact been busy. Planing towards your wedding and, prepping a place for your family doesn't happen in just a day.

"How can I help you today sensei"
"Janie, would you happen to know if the footage from the moths is still kept on the grounds?"Moths was what we called the drones. Her idea. A terrible name, as they look nothing like moths. But like I said, stubborn.

"Yeah. We still do. Why?"
"I'm going to need to take a look at them. Could you call someone and let them know I'm coming? You know on the down low."
"You're coming here? When?"
"Wait? You're at the resort?" I asked surprised.
"Yep. They came looking for me and rehired me about 6 months ago. I'm now the chief technical supervisor."
"Congratulations"
"Thanks senpai. But why do you want to see the footage?"

"I'll be there in 10 mins. I'll come in through the service entrance."
"Okay. I'll be there to meet you personally"

I hang up as I floored it.