Ch4. I Spy With My Little Eye

5 miles down from the resort's car park, a road split off of the main road.
It went straight for about 2 miles then turned left into the woods heading towards the resort. From here it went straight till it reached the resort.

This was the maintenance road, used for bringing in supplies and transporting high level staff. It prevented resort operations from going through the main entrance, which kept it from interfering with the guests "fun".

I had just pulled in to the maintenance road, reducing my speed as I took the turn that put me under the canopy of trees. I rolled down my window to take in the nice musty air, that smelled of dirt, rotting branches, bark and leaves.

I whistled a tune to myself as I admired the beautiful scenery as it rolled past around me. The warm shafts of sunlight coming through the trees, casting all sorts of interesting patterns on the ground.

I rolled to a stop inside the arch of the short security tunnel next to the security window.

"Name and tag please." Came the bored voice of the security officer.
"Leonard Hartman" I said, as I handed over my resort tag.

I watched as he reached over awkwardly to take it, then scan it. I heard a double beep followed by a buzz, which indicated that the scan was complete. Giving the card back he asked.

"Tag code?"
"MF-SC 01678-005"
He hummed in affirmative. But still hadn't let me through. After a while he asked.

"What's is the nature of your visit"
"Excuse me?" I asked. A little surprised.

Either this guy was trolling me, or he was new here. Because clearly my tag designation meant, only the resort head and upper management had the authority to know why I was here and what I was doing.

The tag code was the verification code assigned to all resort employees. MF being Mayflower the resort's name, followed by 2 or 3 letters representing your division. Systems Crew in my case. Then the actual tag number which consisted of five digits.

The last three numbers was your designation, this was the most important part. Starting at 000 for high ranking officials, dignitaries, investors and members of the board. This was the most secure of the designations, as it never showed more than their names to security personnel.

Next was 001 for the park head and management. 002 for department chiefs and supervisors, then 003 for Consulting specialists and external maintenance. 004 for external inspectors, regulators and law enforcement, this one was a temporary issue. Valid for 3 - 24hrs depending on the situation. Finally there's 005 for regular park employees.

I was about to tear him a new one, for going against park regulations. When I hear a familiar voice scold him.

"Shut up Nick, and let him through." Harry the security chief said.

The was a buzz, followed by a motorized whir as the blockers dropped.

"Sorry about that man, he's new here still learning the ropes"
"No worries Harry, just make sure it doesn't happen again. Never know who he might upset."
"Yeah" He sighed. The sigh of a dad dealing with kids on a road trip.

"How are the wife and kids?"
"They're all good. Little Taylor will be turning 6 next week. So gotta plan and throw an awesome party for her you know."
"Awesome. Say hi to them for me ey. And tell Taylor that I'll be dropping by for her birthday."
"Sure thing man. She still hasn't forgotten you missed her last one."

He laughed as I winced at the guilt. I managed to squeeze out a laugh, then waved as I drove into the compound.

Cpt. Harry Martin and I had been friends for a long time. The closest of my very limited group of close friends. We first met about 15 years back, when I was still messing with the mob. He was a junior detective then, working on a money laundering case that almost got him killed. I had saved his life. From there we'd work together occasionally, taking down smuggling rings and arms dealers.