Ch1. Catalyst

We were walking to my car, which was parked in a lot down the street.
I've got to admit first time I came here, I was so pissed the parking lot was so far away from the rest of the resort. But now I kinda dig it. It was the perfect walking distance if you allowed yourself to enjoy it.

"Thanks for the night out babe. I really needed it. Work's been a bit stressful lately."

I looked over at Elena my fiancee. She was about 5'9", her skin smooth like a creamy bowl of caramel.
The results of being half Mexican half Ghanaian.

She was well toned. She'd been working out. Which reminds me got to start hitting the gym again.
Boy did she look good. Especially in the moon light.

The way it glinted off of her long dark locks, and brought out the silver of her eyes. The cool night breeze blowing in our face, blew her hair in a slow gracious way.
It was quiet. The only sounds being the occasional chirp of a bird or cricket. And the music of the resort that was fading as we walked further.

"No problemo bebe" I said in the worst Spanish accent I could think up.
She laughed in that soft angelic way she always did.

I joined her and after a while we stopped laughing. Smiling as we continued walking hand in hand, her head on my shoulder.

"Lovely night, huh?"

"Hmm mmm" She said taking in a long slow breath of the cool night air. Holding it breifly before letting it out.

Boy this place is dope. I can still remember the first time I came here. It was for a job.

3 Years ago.

"Welcome sir. My name's Janet I've been assigned to show you around the place"

"Hmmm. After you then" I said all skeptical.

I was hired by a Miss Mei Li Weng. Apparently she was the supervisor of the place. It had been a normal vacation resort, about 10 acres in all. But now they were looking to advance into also being a recreational place. Specifically video games.

It sat at the edge of the sea, which meant access to a beach. Most of the main property sat on a hill, and had a lot of tress sprinkled around. Except for the back which was covered in trees, and also was the highest point of the hill. Perfect for hiking.

My job was to look the place over and come up with a plan for what systems best went where.
And once it was approved install them.

Oh and lest I forget I was also supposed to install the new management software, and upgrade their security systems. A two to four months job in total.

In case you hadn't figured it out I was an IT guy. I specialized in security, management, and interactive entertainment systems.

I dare say I'm one of the best out there.
Though I really wouldn't be here if not for
a) the sweet 6 figure pay and b) the life time free pass for me and my plus 1.

We kept walking as Janet went on and on, enthusiastically giving me a tour of the place.

She was about 5'2", skinny, with dark brown hair. Some freckles. She looked 17 or 18, probably fresh out of high school.

She didn't look local though. Then again nobody was really a local in this city. A city built specifically for tourism and international business. The entire city was a tourist attraction, a technological marvel.

Janet: Mr. Hamilton. Mr. Hamilton? Sir?

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at her long and hard. Smiling as she shrunk under my gaze, looking like 4'8" now. My smile grew wider at the thought.

Me: I'm sorry I drifted off a little. What were you saying?

Janet: *smiling shyly* I was saying that this is your room. And this is your key card. It would allow you to go anywhere on the grounds without restrictions.

I took the card smiled and said thank you. I turned to enter my room, when I realized she was still there.

Me: Anything else

Janet: *stammering* Erm ehm, yes. Miss Weng has assigned me to be your personal assistant. So I'll be here tomorrow morning to assist you.

I nodded, told her to meet me at the restaurant at 10 then turned in.

--- End of Flashback ---

I slowed down as we approached the parking lot. I noticed a figure standing about 9 feet out. He was standing in the shadows. I stopped.

My instincts screaming danger. Wrapping my hands around Elena's shoulders, I started to back up.

"Don't move" the figure said. In a cold deep voice. He sounded like a grumpy assassin in movies.

There was a faint metallic click. That's when I realized he was pointing something at us. He stepped forward into the light a bit. And I saw the glint of the cold steel barrel of a Colt .45 with a silencer.

Really, a mugging here, now? I thought. But what kind of common criminal used a silencer. Unless he was a professional. I watched him more, observing the way he stood and held the gun. Definitely a pro.
I tensed up, remembering my training. I tried to diffuse the situation.

Me: Look buddy, .....

I didn't finish my sentence, as I saw the small explosion as the gun fired. Everything slowed to a crawl as I turned around, and wrapped Elena in my arms shielding her from the shots.

So this was it, I was just going to die just 4 months from my wedding.
I designed the security systems of this place, and it couldn't even save me.
I laughed at the irony of it all.
It was that stupid parking lots fault for being so far away. Yes I'm blaming the lot.

The bullet hit me in the back. Before I could even react to being hit, there was a second, then a third. I felt every inch of the bullet making it's way through my body. Except the third one. Maybe because of the pain washing over me like a tsunami.

I looked down at Elena, she was scared. I had to make sure she survived.

But how?

The pain was getting intense, and I could feel a surge of heat rising through me. Like a volcano erupting. And before I knew it, my eyes shut and everything went quiet.