Ch9. Snake Eyes

"Leo. What's happening? Leo, come on say something."

That voice. Is that Elena?

Sounds far away. I opened my mouth to try and respond, but my body wasn't responding. And I was really, really cold. It felt like I was dropping into an infinite void. Paralysis or death?

This can't be how I go out. I refuse to go out like this, especially not when I've finally gotten a clue. Not happening.

"You know, there's only one person I know of, who can out hack a member of my team. The same one who uses that type of algorithm."

Another voice, cold, precise, and a British accent. Is that? No, I hope not. I heard footsteps drawing closer. Slow cautious.

"Hello ghost man, or shall I say Leonard? Or perhaps Alpha K-61? It's been quite some time hasn't it"

Fuck me. It really was her.
Got to wake up and fast. I could feel her presence, and smell her, she was way too close.

WAKE UP YOU IDIOT.

My mind yelled. At least I thought it did. I felt her warmth as she leaned in. The heat returned.
Just in time.

There was a burst of flames and I was flying out the window. I managed to open my eyes just in time to see the jetty rapidly approaching. I tried to slow down by activating the glide suit and firing the grapple into the boards.

It worked. Phew.

Still crashed on my shoulder, but hey it wasn't as bad as it was going to be. Still stung like a bitch though. There was a lot of yelling as the guards rushed towards me. I looked up at the window, to find her looking down at me. Her eyes still as cold as ever.

'Be seeing you snake eyes' I signed at her. She grimaced and I grinned before hobbling my way into a boat.

I started it and took off. Few seconds later three more were following. I focused on their motors, then heated them up forcing them to stall. I maintained my course for a while keeping the throttle all the way up. When I was okay with the distance I jumped into the water, staying under and swimming towards the rendezvous. I swam for about two minutes before slowly resurfacing for air. I could hear them chasing after my boat. Excellent. They fell for it.

I continued swimming but I couldn't make it any further as my body finally gave in to the fatigue. The poison was still working. I focused on trying to flush it out, a searing pain shot through me and my mind went numb. The fuck. I tried to trace the source of the pain, and much to my surprise I had been shot in the leg and side.
Great. Just fucking great.

I took in a deep breath, closed my eyes and let myself just float there. Kicking out my uninjured leg occasionally to push me to the rz. After a minute I opened my eyes and inspected my wounds. The leg wound still had the bullet in there, the other had gone straight through and missed vital organs. I sighed in relief. This can be fixed, even without super healing.

Gotta to get out of here fast. I can hear them begin to widen their search in this direction. Time to swim for it. Two more minutes of slow painful swimming and I could hear the engines of the plane. I steadied myself as it descended, disturbing the water as it came closer. There was a splash as the cable fell into the water, followed by more splashing as I grabbed it and secured it to the suit.

A creaking sound cut through the air as the motor reversed to pull me up. I let myself enjoy the feeling of the air brushing down around me.
I looked down at the final moment to see the boats coming this way.
Too late bitches.

Seconds later I was in the plane, buckled into one of the seats antitoxin in hand. Mask off, dripping wet and exhausted. Trying to keep my eyes open long enough to inject it. I winced at the pain, which felt worse than it should. Was either the poison or the exhausting, maybe both?