we all got scars, we all get hurt sometimes

Short but sweet.

###

"Magnus, how did you get this scar? The one on your jaw?" Alec muttered nearly unintelligibly as the two were snuggled together on the sofa, watching cheesy rom-com movies.

At this, Magnus tensed a little. The aforementioned scar was rather ugly. Jagged and uneven, but somewhat unnoticeable. If you weren't looking for it, the chances are that you wouldn't see it. He didn't particularly enjoy talking about how he recieved said scar as he found the story to be insanely embarrassing.

"Alexander, it's kind of an embarrassing story really. I'm rather ashamed of how it happened," Magnus' usually confident façade faded almost instantaneously, "I was a young Warlock, only around seventy-five or so, quite inexperienced in the magic field. I wasn't as knowledgeable then as I am now. Some rogue demons ambushed me when I wasn't paying attention. The claw of one of them tore my skin open and some Shadowhunters had to rescue me." Magnus explained, fiddling with the rings on his fingers so that he could desperately avoid eye contact with Alec.

Magnus felt Alec's lips tenderly kiss the scar. Butterflies surged in his stomach at the gesture of his incredible boyfriend. None of Magnus' past lovers had ever even attempted to make him feel more confident about the scars, both literally, mentally and metaphorically, of his past.

"Magnus, your scars are a warning to all future monsters, of the hell you have survived before them, every demon you vanquished and every battle you won. Never, ever, be ashamed of your scars, it simply means that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you." Alec said softly, gently caressing Magnus' cheek as he was talking.

A single tear of happiness trailed down Magnus' cheek as an uncontrollable giddy smile spread across his face. Alec quickly realised that this was the very first time Magnus had been told such a thing.

Gently pulling Magnus into a warm hug, the Warlock nuzzled further into Alec's shoulder and allowed the Shadowhunter to grip him tightly.

Alexander Gideon Lightwood saw him for everything that he was.

His blunders as a younger Warlock didn't change the way this Shadowhunter felt about his boyfriend. Nothing would ever make him love Magnus less.

Maybe Ragnor Fell was right; love is worth fighting for. If it's the right person.

###

[386 Words]