what must it be like, to grow up that beautiful? (mundane au)

"That's my brother, Alec. His family adopted me." Jace explained as he pointed towards the group of soccer players. Clary noticed that Alec was one of the only few players still wearing his jacket.

Jackets were a big thing at the school. If a football player gave their Varsity jacket to their significant other, it meant that they were serious about the other person. They were in love and their head couldn't be turned.

"Does he not have a girlfriend?" Clary asked Jace, gesturing towards the jacket.

"Trust me Clary, Alec will never have a girlfriend. He's an absolute 'disaster gay' as he labels himself. He has a boyfriend called Magnus. They've been together for like eleven months, I don't know what's stopping him to be honest." Jace explained in response. Clary processed this information quite quickly.

'The popular girls must have been disappointed when he came out as gay', Clary thought to herself. If she had an interest in a guy and he came out as gay, she'd sure be disappointed.

《》《》《》

Three weeks later, Magnus was walking to the gymnasium to meet Alec after his soccer practice and he had some warm coffee in his hands that he had gone to get in his free period (it was winter and Alec was usually freezing after winter practices, so Magnus is a good boyfriend and human being and gets coffee for him). There was a Starbucks about fifteen minutes away so he usually got coffee from there.

There was a commotion as he was walking by though, it sounded like the two people he could detect were happy about something. That brought memories of his first kiss with Alec to his head, that was his happiest memory so far (besides the first 'I love you' - that remains the best day of his life).

He quickly looked to his left where the sound came from and saw Clary hugging one of the players, Jace, wearing a Varsity jacket. It had 'Herondale' written in professional writing across the back with the number twelve underneath. Jace had just given it to her, clearly.

Magnus couldn't help feeling sad once he saw a girl who had only been here for three weeks wearing a Varsity jacket.

He was still waiting for his.

And he has been for almost a year.

《》《》《》

Magnus was waiting for Alec by his locker after chemistry and he couldn't help feeling a little upset. He was now the only person who was dating a soccer player that didn't have a Varsity jacket. Of course, material things like that weren't important in the relationship but, the message it carried was.

After about fifteen long minutes of waiting, Alec came over to him, a soft smile decorating his lips. He was holding his Varsity jacket in his hands. This was finally it. Magnus was going to get Alec's jacket, it was something he had been eagerly waiting for.

"Mags, I want you to wear this tonight." Alec explained to Magnus, gently placing the jacket over his shoulders.

"Really? You know what that means, right?" Magnus questioned, a happy grin spreading across his face as he put the jacket on properly.

"I know full well what it means. I love you, Magnus. I want you to wear it proudly so everyone knows that you're my boyfriend." Alec explained sincerely, lightly fixing Magnus' hair that had fallen in his eyes.

Magnus' arms loosely wrapped around Alec's neck as they kissed softly and slowly, they were both smiling widely between kisses as Alec had finally acknowledged his feelings for everyone to see. It was such a sweet kiss that a few people smiled at them in passing.

《》《》《》

"Alec? You finally gave him your jacket? I'm surprised that it took you so long. You waited what, eleven months?" Jace asked, realising that the back of Magnus' jacket read 'Lightwood' with the number eight underneath it in professional block capital letters.

"I had two reasons for waiting so long. One, I wanted to see if he was in it for more than just a jacket. Two, tomorrow is our one year anniversary." Alec explained proudly, his arm sliding around Magnus' waist and tugging him into his side. Alec was so proud to call Magnus his boyfriend and it always made the shorter one smile until his face hurt.

Magnus smiled widely and rested his head against Alec's shoulder. His stomach still erupted into uncontrollable butterflies at casual intimacy like this even after so long together.

"Oi Lightwood! As much as this display is super cute, we gotta change for the match." A voice came from behind them and Alec immediately recognised it as Sebastian.

Alec chuckled in response before he lightly pecked Magnus' lips and headed into the changing rooms. Jace was close behind him after doing a similar thing with Clary.

《》《》《》

"Don't you want your jacket back?" Magnus asked Alec as the taller one was dropping him back home.

"Nope, you can keep it." Alec answered as they arrived on Magnus' front porch. This had been a routine after Alec's games for about eight months now.

"Really?" Magnus asked, his wide, face cracking smile returning as he wrapped the jacket tighter around his body.

"Yeah, of course you can. Think of it as an anniversary present." Alec responded, smiling just as wide. He was so unbelievably happy right now.

"Hey, uhm, my mom has an apartment for me that I can have when I turn eighteen in four months. Would you like to move into it with me?" Alec asked nervously just as Magnus was about to turn and go inside.

"Alexander, I would love to live with you. A change of scenery would be rather good for me anyway." Magnus answered, shuddering uncomfortably at the mention of his home life, after a few minutes of silence.

"Great," Alec said, beaming happily, "I'll see you on Monday then. I love you, Mags." Alec said softly before sweetly kissing Magnus' cheek and letting him go inside.

They were moving in together.

-

[1004 Words]