if i was dying on my knees, i know you would be the one to rescue me

The alarm blared loudly through the station, indicating that there was an emergency they needed to get to. Alec was first into his turnout gear because he was closest to his locker at the time.

The captain shouted through the station as Alec was running for fire engine number five which was as he was instructed. The captain explained how there was a multi car collision on the freeway and two were on fire so far. Both drivers were stuck in the vehicles seeing as the paramedics couldn't get close enough.

Alec made it to the drivers seat of the vehicle as four more of his colleagues jumped in the back and he started the truck up before pulling away. There was light traffic on the route so Jace, Alec's adopted brother and colleague, turned the sirens on as Alec picked his way through the cars.

The situation was worse than when the call came in. Three cars were burning now and there was nothing the paramedics could do until the firefighters extinguished the roaring flames. A red one, a black one and a white one were all on fire.

The team jumped out of the truck and started unravelling the hoses. The water was turned on and the cars were sprayed with blasts of freezing water.

Alec was about to take care of the red one but he stopped when he recognised something familiar about it. He froze when he realised what it was. Jace was about to spray it until Alec stopped him from doing so.

"Wait! Jace, that's Magnus' car!" Alec exclaimed once he had recognised the plates on the car.

"That red car over there won't last much longer. It was the first one to go up. You have to get him out now." A paramedic explained to them. The extreme heat from the three cars was almost unbearable.

Alec looked between Jace, the paramedic and the burning car quickly as he was deciding what to do right now.

"No one's crazy enough to get that close to a burning car." Jace retorted, not seeing Alec's expression just yet.

"I am." Alec cut him off, resolve heavy in his voice, before he could say anymore. He wanted to be the one to save his boyfriends life.

The heat was like an inferno as Alec used the crowbar to pry the door open. They can just get a new car later on once Magnus recovers. As soon as it was open, Alec reached inside, reaching for Magnus, but he wasn't close enough.

It was like a huge sinking feeling in his stomach when he couldn't reach.

"Alec, come on. You're being insane right no-" Jace started explaining to him, but he would never hear the end of that sentence.

Alec placed his foot on the rim of the car usually concealed by the door and pushed further into the burning inferno. This time, he could actually reach Magnus, so he grabbed hold of his shirt and pulled him closer to get a firmer hold on his body.

Quickly, Alec removed him from the car and carried him over to a waiting stretcher where the paramedics immediately started checking him over. As much as Alec wanted to stay with Magnus, he had to do his job and help with the other two cars.

Many hours later, all three of the burning cars were extinguished. The crew were all completely exhausted after fighting with heavy hose pipes and pulling people from vehicles. Firefighters play essential parts in saving lives and four people would have burned alive today if their services weren't in existence.

Magnus' paramedic hadn't taken him to the hospital for treatment yet. This caused suspicion within Alec so he decided to go over there and see what was happening. He almost stopped when he recognised that they were doing CPR.

"Do you know CPR?" The paramedic asked him quickly once he was beside Magnus, desperately trying to save Magnus' life.

"Uh, yeah." Alec responded, not understanding what had happened. Magnus was perfectly stable a moment ago.

"I need you to give him rescue breaths once I tell you. If we can bring him back, we'll put him on oxygen as his lungs are scarred from the smoke." She explained, administering chest compressions to try and make Magnus' heart beat again.

Once he was told to, Alec gently tilted Magnus' head back and opened his mouth to give him rescue breaths. Alec breathed oxygen into his lungs, desperately hoping it would work. It had to.

This continued for a while until Magnus' heart eventually started beating again. It was like God saw what happened and chose to give him another chance. This accident wasn't his fault, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Alec, you coming? The cleanup crew is here, we're good to leave." Jace asked him, sweat beading on his forehead from the physical exertion of the day and the heat.

"No, I'm gonna head to the hospital with Magnus. I wanna be there for him when he wakes up." Alec responded, looking up at Magnus with a sad smile.

"Fair enough."

-

After waking up in the ambulance, Magnus just needed to be checked on at the hospital. He was given medication for his lungs by a doctor and then he was given the all clear after being monitored for a few hours.

Of course, Alec held his hand tightly the whole time and they shared plenty of soft kisses when they were left alone. Alec wasn't angry or upset with Magnus because he was just an unfortunate victim of the accident. There was no stopping what had happened today, no one was at fault except the drunk driver who careered into Magnus and the other driver.

It took a lot of time, love and therapy, but Magnus got over his fear of driving down the freeway eventually, and that was the day he drove to his and Alec's honeymoon.

Magnus slowly but surely conquered all of his fears with his newlywed firefighter husband by his side.

-

[1015 Words]