[30] Now We're Getting Somewhere

Start from the beginning

Officer Reid was at a loss for words. He looked back and fourth between Kalissa and I, opening and closing his mouth. Before he could manage to say anything, Kalissa grabbed my hand and led me down the hallway, away from Officer Reid.

"Hey! You can't just take her away! Officer Reid called, sounding frustrated.

"Watch me! " Kalissa called back before leading me into another room. In there, was a table and chairs and a variety of different boxes. She sat me down on one of the chairs and started searching through a box. After a couple minutes of silent searching, she pulled out a pair of leggings and a sweater.

"I mean, I know I don't have any underwear or bras with me, but would this be better than the housecoat?" She asked, holding up the outfit. I nodded and took it from her. She turned around so I could put it on.

Once I was situated, she sat down at the table across from me. I sat there, awkwardly staring at my stubby nails as I could feel her eyes burning holes into my head.

"I know you..." she finally said after what felt like forever.

I froze, fear filling me from my head to my toes. With wide eyes I opened my mouth, trying to speak but nothing came out other than a jumbled stutter. 

This is it, this is the moment that my life is going to be ruined.

"You're on the news!" She stated, rubbing her chin. "Yeah! You and two others! One female with long dark hair and a tall male with dark hair as well. You were reported missing about a week and a half ago!" 

My mouth fell open.

W.T.F

I'm on the news? And so is Tony and I'm assuming the other is Maya. It must have been Heidi and Allen... Oh my gosh they must be worried sick! 

But now I'm going to be brought home, and so is Tony...and we're the only ones with leads on Maya. Well I mean, knowing she's in California isn't that big of a lead, 'cause the place is huge, but it's still a lead! And now we're going to go back to square one, and she'll still be missing. Or with that Nish bitch, whoever the hell that is.

"Hey..." Kalissa said gently as she grabbed my hand. I snapped out of my thoughts and looked into her concerned eyes. "Why are you missing? Did you run away?"

I broke eye contact, rubbing my eyes. "No, I'm not missing either. I know exactly how to get how and where I'm going." 

"Did you tell your parents?" she asked.

"My parents are dead." I deadpanned, crossing my arms. My chest tightened with my words, and I felt tears threatening to break through. I've never stated it so matter-o-factly before...It felt like the grieving started all over again. 

Kalissa froze, staring at with with a look that described that she didn't know what to say or do. Which makes sense. Nobody ever knows what to say when someone says their parents are dead. 

"Sorry...that came out harsh" I said meekly, rubbing away the slowly building tears. "That's not why I left either...and I'm nineteen so I can't go to foster care anyways."

"Why did you leave then?" she asked, slowly, almost like she was afraid of my answer.

"It's my friend. The other female who's missing...she ran away..." I began, and after that I started to tell Kalissa, a complete stranger who's a cop's wife, the whole story. I even included the car explosion; the attacks; the stealing; my love for Tony. Everything. Down to the very last detail. I'm not sure how long we were in there for, it didn't feel very long when I was telling her. But when I finished I looked out the window and noticed the sun was setting.