Chapter 19

"Sersi we need you!" Phastos yelled as he burst into the room, running straight up to Sersi and Thena.

"I already gave that speech," Thena announced holding her hand up toward Phastos.

My blood ran cold and I felt a new knot of nerves ball up in my stomach when I saw the stature of Arishem. I pushed away the anxiety at the sight of it quickly as Phastos pulled me to stand beside Sersi. He shook his head at Thena before craning his head slightly to look between Sersi and I who wore matching expressions of confusion.

"Sersi, Amara the spheres inside of you," he rushed, pointing between the two of us.

"It creates a connection between you and Arishem. Maybe I can repurpose it and create a connection between, uhm, well all of us and that can activate the Uni-Mind," Phastos explained his eyes darting between mine and Sersi's. I nodded, excited and hopeful.

"Great," Sersi agreed with a nod.

"Yeah but, uhm," Phastos hesitated pointing at Sersi and I. To the space where the orbs would appear from.

"I have to take it out of you," he finishes, less confident in himself than before. My eyes go wide as Sersi and I share a look.

"You have to what?!" Druig all but yells. I turn to him to see a stunned expression on his face as he comes to stand beside me.

"That is-Nope you cant," Druig said shaking his head as he put his hand around my bicep.

"Druig we have to-"

"No. That can't be safe," Druig cut Phastos off, interrupting him as he looked down at me. His jaw clenched as he wore a stern look.

"Amara.." He began but I placed my hand over his, gently prying his fingers from my arm. Holding his hand, I squeeze it.

"Druig it's fine," I said with a nod, trying to reassure him of something I wasn't sure of. I knew I needed to try though.

"Amara," he repeats, softening as he says my name. 

"I trust Phastos," I nod and Druig looks between my eyes for a moment and I realize the room is staring at us.

"And you trust me?" I ask, already knowing the answer. Druig nods his jaw unclenching as he seems to relax.

"With everything I have," Druig's words paint my thoughts and I smile at him before letting go of his hand.

"You ready?" Phastos nods and I note the sweat pearling on his forehead.

Sersi and I share a concerned look before looking at Phastos. In sync we nod my hand finding Sersi's holding it tight to let her know we were together in this.

"Do it," Sersi said taking a deep breath, squeezing my hand.

"Okay," Phastos says and I sense the hesitation and worry in his voice. He lifts his hands, shaking slightly as he looks between Sersi and I. Sersi squeezes my hand as we look at Phastos.

"Don't kill them," Thena interrupts Phastos' focus as he puts one of each of his hands in front of us.

"Thena," he sighs, clearly annoyed before Sersi nods with encouragement.

Phastos takes a deep breath before turning his hands together. I can feel Druig looking at me, his eyes an ever present feeling. His concern bleeding into my thoughts as I hear him whispering to me.

"I love you," his silent words move across my mind. With my head trained forward, staring at Phastos, all I can think about is Druig.