Chapter 6

After our morning run Druig and I made our way to the river. Our chests heaving in sync as we caught our breath. Druig sat down, his back leaning against a tree as he held his hand out to me. I took it and he pulled me down to sit between his legs, my back pressed to his chest, his chin resting atop my head as we looked out at the river.

"It's so beautiful this early," I said, my voice quiet as if to not disturb the water itself. Against my back I felt Druig's hum of agreement in his chest as he brought his hand up to hold my necklace. He brought his chin off my head to rest on my shoulder, his cheek pressed to my temple as he ran his thumb over the stone.

The world was silent as we sat there wrapped around each other. The river's current moved slowly but smoothly as we sat on the bank watching the sun rise and the day begin.

"What are you thinkin' bout?" Druig's voice spoke into my mind, his lips pressing a kiss to my temple. I turned my head to face him partially. My forehead resting against his cheek as he continued to look out at the river.

"What was your favorite place to be when you were traveling around the world?" I asked, my head still leaning against his as his thumb continued to run over the smooth stone of my necklace.

"Here, with you," he whispered pressing another kiss to my temple before resting the side of his head against mine. My cheeks grew warm at the thought and I turned to him, draping my legs over one of his.

"Really?" I asked wrapping my arms around his neck.

"No," he deadpanned, making me roll my eyes. Druig let out a loud laugh letting me know he was joking.

"I hate you," I said moving to push off of him and stand up but he pulled me right back into his arms.

"Honest, here with you is my favorite place I've ever been," Druig smiled before looking down at the necklace.

"My second favorite place mi' lady," he started, adjusting me in his arms so I sat in his lap, my back to his chest again, "was the same place I found that stone."

I held it in my hand, fingers running over the smoothness of the beautiful blue stone. Druig's hand took mine that was holding the stone and made me flip the rock over, revealing a symbol on the back of it.

"I met a witch in Babylon. The Greeks believed her to be the goddess Hypnos, but they thought my power to be hers,"

"I'm sure you're a beautiful goddess," I teased and Druig wrapped his arms around me. Planting his hands at my sides, he tickled me until I couldn't breathe. My laughter echoing down the river.

"Stop! Stop!" I laughed and Druig let go.

"May I finish my story?" Druig laughed and I nodded falling against his chest as his hands trailed down my shoulder to hold my hands.

"Alright then where was I.."

"You were a beautiful goddess," I giggled and Druig pinched my side playfully again before leaning his head against mine.

"Right. She was no goddess but she was a witch. Said she got her power from a greater source than even a celestial. She gave me that stone as thank you for helping to keep the peace between villages. She put a rune on it but I've forgotten what kind. I'd considered it good luck because I lost it but found it in my things the day I met you,"

"So what I'm hearing is I'm actually good luck," I teased again making Druig nod behind me.

"Something like tat," he chuckled and I could feel him roll his eyes before burying his face in my neck. He placed a soft kiss to the familiar spot below my ear before pulling me close against him.