Chapter 18

Even as I sat with Druig on the table, focusing on the discussion between the Eternals, I could feel his eyes boring into the side of my face. I knew he was looking at the developing bruises and redness form Ikaris' grip on my jaw.

I brought my hand up to cover where Druig was looking, my fingers feathering over the tender spot. My own body flinching at my delicate touch. Druig brought his hand to mine, taking my hand gently in his. I turned to him and he gave me a small, sad smile before squeezing my hand and focusing back into the conversation before us.

"Why did sprite go with Ikaris?" Makkari questioned looking between Phastos and Sersi.

"Because she loves him," Kingo explained putting one hand on his hip, the other running down his face in frustration.

"Oh you guys didn't pick up on that?" Kingo laughed, the whole room quiet as we looked between each other confused.

"He really fooled us didn't he. Karun let's go,"

"Wait, where are you going?" Phastos took a few steps after Kingo.

"I can't help you guys. I still think Ikaris is right," Kingo said and my eyes widened in confusion. Druig put a hand on my leg, to steady me or to steady him I'm not sure.

"So that's it, huh, just gonna walk away?" Phastos asked the hurt in his voice evident as we all looked from him to Kingo.

"I love the people of this planet but if you stop the emergence you are preventing so many other worlds like this one from being created. I still have faith in Arishem, but I refuse to hurt any of you for my beliefs," Kingo began to walk away with Karun in tow but makkari placed a hand on his shoulder, signing with the opposite hand.

"We need you," she pleaded with Kingo, her eyes converging the hurt in her heart. He shook his head looking down at Makkari, tapping her hand once.

"Even with my help we're no match. It's Ikaris," Kingo sighed and Makkari pulled her hand from his shoulder, crossing her arms over her chest.

Kingo stood at the entrance to the hallway before waving to the rest of us.

"I hope to see you on the next planet," he said before disappearing down the corridor. Karun turned to the rest of the eternals and even smiled at me before speaking in Hindi. I didn't know what he was saying but I could tell by the light in his eyes that he was thankful for the eternals and wished them luck.

Druig bowed his head softly and I smiled at Karun as he bowed to the room before turning down the hallway following after Kingo.

Druig looked at me, then around the silent depressing room. Everyone seemed defeated yet determined. A massive weight laying on each person's shoulders. Druig squeezed my hand before letting go as if he need me to give him assurance. I placed a kiss on his cheek before he spoke.

"Look if I'm going to get myself killed going up against Ikaris we'll need to have a backup plan."

The thought of Druig crossed my mind several times in the last few days but I never thought it could actually happen. Now an seemingly the strongest eternal had betrayed his family and was threatening to kill anyone in his way. My chest tightened as Phastos shrugged.

"All of our powers, even if they're amplified, are not enough to kill a celestial," he explained.

"Well," Druig paused taking a bite of food into his mouth, "Sersi did turn a deviant into a tree."

"I'm sorry what? You didn't want to tell me that?" Phastos snapped, his eyes close to falling out of his head they were so wide.

"You've never been able to do that before?" Makkari questioned, turning to Sersi. Sersi seemed to tense up, her hands balling into fists at her sides as she shook her head.

An Eternal and The Mortal [ ON HOLD ]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें