~1~

The way she was so impossibly shy and apologetic for even the air she breathed, tugged at his heartstrings unfailingly. Her earnest eyes whenever she smiled and her unending kindness seemed almost unnatural for a single human to possess.

But what bothered him was how unheard and unseen she remained. She blended into a background that was so below her. Exactly how it almost angered him when she let her honey laced voice be suppressed by his loud-mouthed fangirls.

Sasuke found his sanctum within the Konoha academy library. The peace and quiet added to the mystical smell of books created quite the recipe. Ofcourse it helped that it was Hinata's favourite getaway place too.

Not that they ever talked, even though their visits to the library coincided way too frequently. To him there was a certain sense of tranquillity in watching Hyuuga Hinata quietly flip the pages of a book with her face scrunched up cutely in concentration. The way she would fidget with her finger on her lower lip and gasp ever so quietly when something particularly gripping happened in her book.

To him she represented a moonlit night, with her midnight blue-black tresses against her moonshine skin. While her face held the timid silence of the dark night, her eyes held the sparkle of the stars that promised the strength that lay beyond the calm kindness.

Even now as she sat with two of the loudest creatures in Konoha, Ino & Sakura, it was her gentle smile that spoke to him the loudest.

Sasuke sat under a tree, hidden away from the sight of Ino & Sakura, yet directly facing Hinata's line of sight. She'd seen him ofcourse and had been kind enough to spare a smile at him while Ino & Sakura had their attention on bantering with each other.

Smiles didn't come to him easy, so he settled for a nod of his head as an acknowledgement. Hinata being Hinata, blushed even at something so slight. Not that he was complaining as her rosy cheeks were a feast for his eyes.

Hinata dragged her focus from Sasuke to the squabbling duo in front of her. Funnily enough, Sasuke seemed to be subject of their quarrel even now. Knowing that he'd hate being pointed by Ino & Sakura, she tried to act indifferent to Sasuke's presence.

As much as she loved her friends, she knew that the Uchiha prized his solitude.

"Why do you think Sasuke would even give you a second look, Ino pig..." Sakura smirked.

"Better than looking at your massive forehead I'd say..." Ino quipped.

And thus the unending fight continued.

As if the chaos caused by the two girls wasn't enough to disrupt the peace of the morning, a blinding flash of yellow and orange ran straight to them.

"Sasukeee!!"

Okay so maybe he wasn't headed for the girls, rather his eternal rival, Hinata thought.

Sorry Sasuke... She thought, knowing how his peace was about to get ruined.

"Huh Sasuke? Where?" Sakura mused, looking around and eventually spotting him a little distance away, right behind them.

Ino spotted him at the same time, turning back to hinata, "Hina why didn't you tell us he was here?!"

"Oh...uh y..you a..and Sakura chan were talking I d..didn't wish to interrupt..." she mumbled out a believable excuse.

They knew Hinata, so they obviously knew how she'd never dare talk over others.

"Oh hey Sakura chan, Hinata, Ino..." Naruto greeted, as he passed by them to get to Sasuke.

"What do you want idiot..." Sasuke asked, visibly irked.

"Who're you calling an idiot, idiot! Nevermind... spar with me!" Naruto whined.

"I'm not in the mood..." He said, flicking Naruto's forehead.

Nobody knew what that gesture meant to Sasuke. Him doing it to Naruto showed just how close they had become. Not that he'd ever say it to Naruto's face, but he had become like a brother to Sasuke after the fourth war. 

Hinata giggled at the display, seeing Naruto whine like a kid to Sasuke. She smiled at her progress seeing her former crush now. She'd finally realised that she had mistaken her admiration of Naruto for love. So when one day Naruto had asked Hinata for ways to impress Sakura, she had only smiled, while her resolve being further solidified. Ofcourse in typical Hinata fashion, she'd advised him to be himself, he'd whined that it wasn't helpful.

She mused at the fact that while the two men were so different from each other, yet they were so similar in their determination and stubbornness.

While she knew that Naruto was like the blinding & flamboyant sun, in Sasuke Uchiha she found herself admiring the vast turbulent ocean. In his confident eyes, she saw glimpses of the raging storm that was captive within the beautiful cage of his body.

Now that she'd decided to look away from the sun, she too realised what Ino, Sakura & many other girls could see. Although she was pretty sure what they saw had to have been the superficial perfection of Sasuke Uchiha.

She sighed as Sakura and Ino sped towards Sasuke, leaving her behind. Begrudgingly she followed them with her usual calm countenance.

Her traitorous heart panged at the sight of Ino and Sakura pressed to either side of Sasuke. While her focus had shifted from Naruto to Sasuke, it seemed that some things remained the same.

Be it Naruto or Sasuke, she knew that her reality would remain the same. Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, Ino and all her friends really, were the stars of the story according to her. While she knew that she was only that side character who nobody bothered to pay attention.

While her internal battle raged on, Sasuke's onyx gaze was fixated only on her. If only Hinata knew just how much people noticed her.