25~The Unexpected

Dripping, something was dripping. The sound echoed through Jasper and Amy's apartment, I'd come to the conclusion that someone hadn't turned the tap off properly. Not only was something dripping but Jasper was snoring and Amy was typing away at her laptop, the walls in this apartment were thin.

To add to all these distractions my mind was racing, every now and then my eyes would involuntarily flick to the digital clock that displayed the time in red. I hated the guest room, it was plain and there was nothing to focus on except from the clock or the plain white walls. 

My phone had been busy all night, I'd checked a couple of times and winced when I say Cate's name decorate my lock screen. I had about 12 missed calls from her and tons of messages I couldn't bring myself to read.

I couldn't sleep, it was 1 in the morning, I didn't want to get up. Amy had been in a few times to check up on me, I hadn't wanted to speak to anyone. 

I closed my eyes for what seemed like the millionth time, sleep didn't seem to want to claim me. My restless thoughts battling it away and filling my head with thoughts about Cate and what had happened.

I wondered what would have happened if I'd let her kiss me, if I'd let myself be loved by someone else. Would I be with Cate now, if that had been the case? Would I be happy? 

I groaned audibly and then threw back the covers of the bed I was lay in, Amy still seemed to be up. She'd been relentless with that keyboard, whatever it was it must have been interesting since she'd been up all night.

I picked up my phone before I left the room, the door creaking as I opened and closed it. The hallway was dark but Amy's bedroom door was open slightly and a singular strip of light shone out from the crack.

Shadows loomed on the walls, forming shapes and creatures that shifted when I moved. I shook my head, blaming the lack of sleep for my active imagination, I quickly skipped over to Amy's room which was a little way across the corridor.

Knocking slightly on the door, I frowned as Amy's furious typing came to a stop. That was abrupt. "Amy?" I called, waiting for her response before barging into her room. 

Suddenly, I heard some fumbling around and Amy swore softly before the light coming from her laptop disappeared and her room was plunged into darkness. What was she doing? About a minute later Amy's hand appeared at the open door and she pulled the door open slightly, her body blocking the view of her dark room.

"What's up, T?" She asked me, her eyes were wide as she scanned my face, she also seemed to be a bit out of breath.

I scrutinised her before answering, "I couldn't sleep," I raised my shoulder nonchalantly, was something wrong?

"Okay..." she trailed off before shaking her head and taking a deep breath, as if calming down. What was wrong with her? "Come in," she moved away from the doorway and held the door open wider for me to come into her room.

Amy's room was a personification of her personality. Wild. It was a mess and it looked like she'd tried to make it appear less of a mess. Clothes were bundled up and thrown into her drawers, which were half shut due to the clothes hanging out of them. She had take out boxes practically overflowing from her bin and there seemed to be some sort of poster stuffed under her bed, I couldn't see exactly what it was a poster of but knowing Amy it would have been some sort of heavy metal band she'd gotten sick of.

I hadn't explained what had happened to either Jasper or Amy, I hadn't felt ready to fully accept what had happened. For some reason though, I believed that Amy would understand how I felt, she'd been with plenty of girls before but it didn't mean she didn't have feelings for them. Maybe she could help me understand my own emotions.