Just like old times - chapter 42 ४

Start from the beginning

You pull the hood of your hoodie further down hiding your face. As you crumble up the news paper.

"There's been sent out a warrant for my arrest" you say sadly.

"Well yeah.. Did you expect they'd just let you go?"

"No of course not... I just thought I'd be safe here.."

"You're not safe anywhere"

You empty the glass of beer in your hand before ordering another one. Luckily for you it's 1 o'clock in the afternoon so the bar is pretty much empty.

"Do you also remember every single person you hurt?" You ask hesitantly

Bucky looks at you with pain in his eyes before taking another shot. "I remember all of them" he says sadly. "You never forget it.. it just gets easier"

You smile at him, it's wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but the fact that you finally had something to talk about.

"You have to give it time" he assures you.

"I was supposed to be planning my wedding... Now I don't know if he's ever gonna forgive me."

"I tried to kill Steve a couple of times, he got over it"

"That's a valid point... Steve loved you unconditionally" your eyes get heavy.. you take one of his vodka shots emptying it as fast at you took it. "Do you miss him a lot?"

"Everyday" he mumbles, with a tear in his eye.

"It's kinda funny" you smile.

"What is?"

"If you had asked me five years ago, I would've have thought I was gonna marry him." You say sadly.

Bucky smiles awkwardly, but quickly shakes it off.

"What was that?" You chuckle. "That little face scrunch you just did?"

"I just don't get you"

"Oh yeah I'm hard to read! Have you ever met yourself" you laugh. "Mister resting bitch face"

"What did you just call me" he shrugs, you can sense a subtle smile on his lips.

"You should smile more Buck, you look nice when you smile"

"Please don't" he says coldly. You can feel him putting up a barrier, eagerly trying to keep you out of his mind. You hadn't thought about reading it before now.

"Don't what..? I'm just trying to be friendly" you scoff.

He takes another shot, shaking his head."Yeah well save that for Loki"

"Why are you so weird all of the sudden, I just said you have a nice smile. It's a compliment" you say, he's starting to annoy you. He always does this get all defensive as soon as you care.

Bucky keeps chugging down one shot after another, ordering 10 more from the bartender. "Steve absolutely adored you. He would have done anything for you... guess that wasn't enough for little miss Stark" he exclaims.

You take your eyes off him, looking down at the beer in your hands. "Wow... how long you've been holding that in" you say quietly.

He doesn't answer you.

"I loved Steve so much...but not the way I love Loki"

Silence.

"He can be trouble.. but deep down all he wants is to be happy, get a second chance."

Silence.

"Who the fuck are you too judge.. "

"Let's just go.."

He empties the ten shots in front of him before grabbing his jacket and leaving out the door.
You sit back at the bar all alone. Sipping quietly on your beer. What the fuck just happened. You were finally connecting after all this time. And then he just storms out. Steve is probably sitting somewhere judging you. He could be dead for all you knew. He left no clues on how to find him. He just took off.

You grab onto the Jacket Nat had left for you and walk home. It's long walk from the bar, but you needed to clear your head. With all that had happened the past 48 hours some fresh air would probably be in order.

So you just walk.