15: Cold

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @MorganGiglioBooks OR JOIN OUR DISCORD SERVER (LINK IN BIO) FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND UPDATES!

***

"I expect your marketing plan on my desk before you leave today." Ms. West stated as she half slammed some papers on my desk

I looked up at her and she turned without even bothering to make eye contact. She stomped off and I gulped as I grabbed the papers and started to read over them. Ms. West had been quite cold towards me today and I had a feeling it had something to do with me calling her Parker yesterday. I shuffled through the papers and tried my best to focus but between my racing thoughts and the nonstop chaos of the marketing floor I could barely form a coherent thought.

"How are you doing over here?" Margaret asked leaning against my desk

I shrugged "Okay, it's just a little hard to focus."

"You get used to it." She stated as she shifted slightly "Headphones helped me a lot when I first started."

"I'll have to give that a try." I nodded smiling up at her

She smiled in return before hearing her name and mumbling an apology. She walked off towards what sounded like a very intense conversation and I sighed as the room seemed to be even louder than before.

I looked up as a blonde girl got up from desk across from me and couldn't help but notice that she looked extremely familiar.

~4 Years Ago~

The music seemed to grow louder and louder while Luna and I danced to the beat as though our lifes depended upon it.

"I need another drink!" She half yelled so I could hear her over the music

I nodded in return and once she slipped through the crowd a cute blonde girl filled in her spot and started grinding against me. I could feel the heat growing between us as I placed my hands on her hips and watched her sway back and forth against me.

She spun around and pressed herself against me, wrapping her arms around my neck while looking into my eyes. The flickering LEDS made it difficult to pinpoint her eye color but her beauty was more evident than ever.

"What's your name?" She questioned smiling at me

"Harper, how about you?" I smiled back

She shrugged a smirk playing on her lips before she spun back around and grinded against me once more.

~Present~

"Harper?" The girl I hadn't seen since that party questioned as she stopped beside my desk

I'm quite sure of the fact that I looked like I had seen a ghost or some shit.

"Yes it's me." I mumbled out lamely

She gave a strange look "I thought so, when did you start working here?"

"I, uh, started my marketing internship last week." I stated spinning slightly to face her

She looked over me as I spoke and paused a moment before responding "Wow that's awesome, I'm actually Margaret's assistant so I'm assuming we're going to be seeing each other quite a bit."

"Yeah I'd say so." I nodded awkwardly

She bit her lip slightly before speaking "So I guess maybe I should actually tell you my name then?"

~4 Years Ago~

I had my arms wrapped tightly around her as she cuddled up against me.

"That was absolutely amazing." She breathed out relaxing into me

I smiled and kissed her forehead "I couldn't agree more."

"Unfortunately I really need to get going now." She stated shifting so I loosened my grip

I let go and she sat up swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

"Any chance I can know your name now?" I questioned making a mental note to seriously start getting girls names BEFORE I sleep with them

In the darkness of the room I could barely make out her smirk, illuminated ever so slightly by a streak of moonlight streaming in from the window "It's easier if you don't."

"What does that mean?" I questioned as she started to get dressed

She shrugged and continued to dress as I sat there trying to think on what she had just said.

Once her shoes were laced she started to head for the door and paused a moment looked over at me "I don't like getting attached to people that I would let break my heart."

Without another word she left me sitting there completely surprised by the vulnerability of such an honest statement. I felt a strange feeling wash over me in an instant as I thought about what Talia had said during our last conversation a month ago.

It's better than letting you get close and then losing you.

Maybe we're all just destined to be so afraid of what could make us so happy that it both could and already does destroy us.

~Present~

I shrugged "Up to you, seemed like you were pretty set on keeping it a secret in the past though."

She rolled her eyes crossing her arms over her chest "That was years ago Harper."

"And yet you still remember my name when I wasn't even allowed to know yours." I shrugged before turning back to my work "Just seems a little weird if you ask me."

"Why are you being so difficult? I'm trying to make peace with you." She grumbled seemingly growing more frustrated by the second

I nodded looking over at her "Alright I'm good with making peace."

"Good," She mumbled out seemingly unsure of what to even say at this point "and my name is Genesis."

"Beautiful name." I nodded

I could see a blush creeping onto her cheeks as Margaret came over and interrupted us "Good to see that you two seem to be getting along! Did you show Genesis the marketing plan yet Harper?"

I shook my head "Not yet, I was just about to."

"Perfect, well I'll leave you two to it then." She smiled before walking off towards the elevator

Genesis gave me a weird look, letting out a sigh before grabbing her chair and wheeling it over to my desk.

She sat down and spun to face me "I have a feeling you're going to be a real pain in my ass."

"I thought we just made peace? That didn't sound very peaceful." I joked causing her to once again roll her eyes

"Let's just focus on the marketing plan." She grumbled

***

(A/N) Please don't forget to like, comment, and follow! It really does help and I appreciate you all so much! ❤️