Part 24

Damian

Piper and I were back in our room as I thought about what Head Alpha and Pearl said. Disregarding the sex part obviously. Not that the idea wasn't keeping me awake at night. I took off my jacket, tossed it on to the chair at the end on the bed, and kicked off my shoes. I was tired and sick of this pack already. The only reason I hadn't left yet was because of Piper and how I needed to get Willow's paperwork pushed through quickly. Maybe Led could push the paperwork with his hacking skills so we could leave already.

I laid down on the bed as I watched Piper slip off her shoes and glance anxiously at me. I bet she still thought we're obligated to complete our mating.

"Just come and sit down." I patted her side of the bed and took out my phone from my back pocket.

I had to keep myself from smirking as she stalked over to the bed like a timid elk in the woods. She was so adorable, but one peep from me would send her fleeing.

Pearl was right though; I knew next to nothing about my mate and needed to get to know her. Our bond told me how she truly felt on the inside but I needed to learn more. I was her mate yet knew next to nothing about her. What were her likes and dislikes? Did she have coffee in the morning? Hell, was she allergic to anything?

I needed to know all that shit if she was going to trust me. Marking your mate showed that you earned their trust. Piper and I didn't have that trust yet. We didn't get that option. Trust wasn't something that you could earn in an hour, and if you fucked up and broke it, you could be spending the rest of your life trying to fix your mistakes.

I felt the bed move as I sent Led a quick text. Piper was finally sitting on the bed next to me but kept her distance. I peered up at her and noticed the suspicion in her eyes as she stared at my phone.

"I'm texting one of my deltas," I clarified for her.

"I thought Winx was your delta?" she asked and laid back on the bed next to me.

"He's one of them." I shrugged.

She narrowed her eyes at me, and I dropped the phone down on the bedside table.

"How many do you have? I thought alphas only had one beta and one delta?"

I stretched out on the bed next to her as the two of us both laid there, looking up at the ceiling. This was good. We were actually communicating without any interruptions.

"The number of betas and deltas vary from pack to pack. Here, you only have one of each. In Head Alpha's pack, there are three betas and twelve deltas." I casually slipped my arm under Piper's head and pulled her closer as I explained.

"I thought Lightning Ridge was the largest pack in the west?" Piper snuggled into my side, and it made me grin when I felt her leg wrap around mine.

"It is, but the reason Head Alpha's pack has so many betas and deltas is because they all have to share the responsibilities of running the western empire. You see, all matters that cannot be handled by an alpha must be sent to Head Alpha's pack."

"Like what?" She nuzzled against my chest to get comfortable.

"Serious crimes like rape and murder, then you have lesser matters like documents that need to be sent to the main pack for approval."

Piper hummed quietly as she laid her hand over my chest.

Piper kept quiet as she thought on everything I just told her. Her fingers drummed against my chest, and I knew through the bond she was nervous about something.

"Do you think they'll like me?" she asked at last.

"Who?" I frowned but didn't try to move.

"Your pack. Lightning Ridge." She tilted her head up to look at me.