Part 2

I jolted awake the next morning from high-pitched screams coming from the street outside. Daylight was filtering in through my window as I rubbed my eyes and rolled on to my back to stare up at the ceiling fan. I could hear the pack mumbling louder than normal today, but that's to be expected considering today of all days was when the alphas arrive and typically find their mates. For the females in every pack, it might as well be Woodstock.

From what I could recall, there should be about twenty alphas arriving today with their small entourage of elite fighters. Several of them were marked and mated, but for the single males arriving, I could almost guarantee that a fan club made of salivating females would be launched by the time they leave.

But unlike your typical frat house female in heat, I considered this attraction another perfect distraction. The night before, I had taken the liberty to hide a rope in my windowsill and quietly slide down and out into the pack's garden, away from prying eyes. The parade was being held out on the front street, which meant the back gardens were entirely deserted.

I needed to be careful of the guards because if they caught me, I would be stuck in one of the prison dungeons for the rest of the summit. Since I was little, I had been way quicker than other wolves, even for a more mature pack member like a guard. I had always been a little speed demon when it came to escaping, and now with my feet on solid ground, I managed to quickly fling the rope back into my window and snuck into the rear entrance of the kitchen.

Every staff member was too busy to notice me casually walking through and picking up an apple for breakfast. Our head chef smirked as he shook his head at me. I quickly slid out to the dining room with the apple in my mouth. I quietly shut the door behind me but noticed there wasn't a soul to be found in the dining hall. Usually, this place would be packed with wolves all cramming in to get their breakfast, but it seemed the parade outside won over bacon and eggs. The doors to the dining hall were closed for the first time in forever, but I could hear voices from the other side. I cracked open the large door to peek out into the main entrance and found the hall full of pack members chatting away.

I tried to time my entrance well, but I ended up almost getting caught as a guard walked up the entrance hall, chatting with Alpha Perry. Shit! With a quick glance around at my closest hiding options, I slipped behind a group of lively girls all chatting away as Alpha Perry seemed to pass without a hint of suspicion. I thought I finally caught a break till Alpha Perry's nose twitched in the air. His eyes darted around at the people in the entrance, and I stopped breathing.

Shit! I'm so dead.

I dropped to the ground and froze in place. He can smell me. There was a reason he's the alpha after all; that little snout of his could pick up any fragrance within five miles, six with a favourable wind. If he caught me down here, I was well and truly screwed.

After a moment of talking to the guard, he walked back down the hall, no doubt making his way back to his office. I watched closely as the guard climbed a set of stairs. He's probably been instructed to go and check on me, leaving me little time to get out of here before they would know something's up. With all these people around, it became quite easy to avoid the guards, but I was still not taking any chances with these douchebags.

I was able to make it out on to the front street and watch some of the people line the road, watching the parade of packs coming into our city. It was still a little early for anyone to have arrived, but the floats as well as the entertainment made the parade worth watching. The pack's final stop would be the pack house, but it didn't stop people from lining up to get prime spot for seeing the alphas and their posse.

Other than the screaming fan girls, it was a good day out for everyone. Pups ran up and down the street while holding up different pack flags, laughing with their friends, and dashing around people. The parade had marching bands, dancers, and people tossing candy to the pups in costumes that matched whatever float they were on. It was a fun-for-the-whole-family kind of thing.

As I was walking down the main street next to the parade route, I noticed how all the shops were full to the brim with customers and staff working to keep up with the demand. With the apple still in my hand, I took a final bite and tossed it in the trash, glad that I had the presence of mind to grab something on the way out of the pack house instead of being stuck in queue for eternity.

Sharp, high-pitched screams of excitement made me wince, and I turned back to see a group of girls waving streamers about as they giggled.

"Look, Nat! It's the Crescent Moon pack's alpha!" a female gushed to her friend.

The crowd erupted in cheers for the alpha, but even being just a few feet away, there was no way to see the parade through the wall of excited pack members. I took a quick look around and noticed that next to one of the shops was a massive dumpster down a small side alleyway that's blocked off by a tall iron fence. That'll do. With a quick glance around, I leapt the fence and climbed on top of the lid of the dumpster. It was a bit of a stretch, but I grasped on to the roof railing of one of the cafés and scampered up a drainpipe without much hassle. I crawled on my hands and knees to the front of the shops, and from here, I had a bird's eye view of the entire street. I could see everything from up here.

With my legs crossed, I watched as three more packs slowly walked and waved their way to the pack house. All were met with screaming fans and cheers from the people lining the streets. I slightly winced at the piercing noises that came from some of the female pack members and wished that someone would remind them that the alphas they were gushing over had already found their lunas.

As the next pack made their way up the street, I spotted a guard standing just by the fence I climbed over to get up here. I remained still as I waited to see if he'd leave without noticing me, and I could get back to watching the parade. As he turned and started to walk away, another guard came up and spotted me on the roof of the building.

"Hey, you! Get down from there!" he yelled at me.

I quickly scurried to the back of the building, leapt down to the ground, and rolled to break my fall. As I was brushing off my clothes, the guards had decided to follow me down the alley I had taken to get on the roof and were now shouting at me to remain where I was.

"You! Pack member! Stop!" one shouted.

I scrambled to get out of there and ran as fast as I could to the next alley that led to the main street. The crowd was cheering as I raced through them, trying desperately to get back to the pack house. As I turned back, I watched the guards struggle with the crowd, but they were closing in on me.

I need to escape. I need to get out of here quickly.

In a last-ditch effort to make it to the forest just on the other side of the street, I turned and pushed past the pack members to leap into the street with one of the guards landing on top of my back, crushing me to death. Not only was that humiliating enough, but I managed to land at the feet of the Lightning Ridge pack's alpha. Only the most powerful pack in the west. No biggie.

Guards worked to keep me controlled, and my head was kept to the ground as the two wolves apologised for the rude interruption to the parade. My hands were cuffed behind my back as one of the guards took a fistful of my hair to keep my head lowered.

"Alpha Damian! Please forgive us for the rude interruption," one muttered a quick apology.

"Where are you taking her?" a low voice questioned the two of them.

My chest pinched sharply suddenly out of nowhere as I felt my wolf sniff the air. Growls inside my head rang out loudly with heated lust. I gasped and felt like someone was nearby. My wolf was leaping inside me, demanding to take over and go to them, but the guards dragged me swiftly to my feet and off to the side of the street so that the parade could continue. I growled low in my chest as I was tossed over the railing and landed on the cobblestone street, but it wasn't as painful as the bite I felt from an electric taser.

For a short time, I couldn't move as the two guards dragged me back to the pack house. It didn't take a genius to figure out where we were heading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A.N: don't forget to show your support by voting and leaving a comment. You are all so awesome. Never forget it!

Lunaglare
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~