Part 10

Damian

Piper. That was her name. The name of the one who belonged to me. I made my way back to the pack house after finding Willow's house full of nothing but my mate's lingering scent. I was so close to finding her. So close to holding her, but somehow, in some way, she was just out of reach. Just on the edge of my grasp.

In all my life, I'd never ached for anyone like I did for her. I'd never seen her smile. Never seen her eyes light up in happiness yet here I was, longing for such an unknown part of my soul. My other half.

Right before I left Willow's home, I made sure to exchange numbers and instructed her to call me as soon as she saw Piper again. Something told me she wouldn't tell me where her best friend was unless Piper herself wanted to be found. If Willow was so close to Piper to allow her to stay in her own home as well as know just how much danger she was in, then there was no way she'd let me find Piper. She would protect her just like she did now.

I had to push that thought to the back of my mind. I'd been absent from my own pack all day and left Winx and Jase in charge of running things, so I just hoped the place was still standing when I got back. With the summit drawing to a close and the pack run tomorrow morning, I've got tonight to come up with some sort of a plan.

I strolled back to the pack house after taking a long walk around the city. My mind was still lost in thought as I made my way inside the pack house, but as soon as I walked down the corridor that led to my pack's apartments, I felt something trigger my wolf.

A sudden snarl from Dame, my wolf, made my hearing sharper. Someone was following me.

"Remain calm," Dame whispered to me as we focused in on the sound. "Just keep moving."

Dame was right. I needed to keep moving and act like nothing was wrong so the wolf following me wouldn't get suspicious and flee. I mind-linked Winx and took a detour towards the back kitchen to buy some time. I instructed Winx to wait outside our quarters and keep himself hidden. There was a wolf on my tail, and it might be an assassin given how timid and soft the footsteps were.

Was this some sort of plan to get rid of me? Did Perry really think something like sending an assassin after me would work? In his dreams, maybe, but I wouldn't be taken out so easily.

The kitchen was deserted when I entered. If the wolf tailing me wanted to kill me, then this would be the ideal location. No one was around, lots of weapons and obstacles to block in your opponent. It was the best place to attack an unsuspecting victim.

"In position, boss," Winx mind-linked me. I calmly walked to the refrigerator to make it seem I was looking for a late-night snack. I then proceeded to sigh loudly and exit the kitchen.

"Be ready."

As I moved calmly down the hallway back towards the apartments, I could tell where Winx was hiding without even really looking. Like always, he used everything he learnt from his training and applied it here. I, unlike Winx, kept myself aloof and unsuspicious. I walked inside calmly and noted that no other pack member besides Jase was inside. They must all be in bed by now. Jase, however, sat on one of the couches in the living room and looked up from his phone as soon as I entered. Winx probably told Jase I was being followed and had the rest of the pack go to bed early to keep them in the dark about what was really happening.

"We sent everyone to bed early," Jase explained. "We used 'the run is tomorrow' as an excuse and told everyone that they need to be on time." He watched the door closely as I sat down on the couch next to him.

The sound of shattering glass came from the hall as the door suddenly burst open. Winx was quick and pinned what looked like one of Perry's female servants into a hold position. Both of them walked as the female scrambled to get away from Winx. It was pointless from the hold he had on her. Winx shoved the female down on to the opposite couch facing me and turned to go back over and closed the door.