Part 7

Piper

"Piper!" I heard a voice call out my name, making me wake. "Piper, is that you?"

I was sitting up in a tree with the rope I brought with me tied around my legs to keep me from falling. I yawned as I peeked down to the ground and saw Willow standing there with her basket, looking up at me with a frown on her face.

"Hey, Willow!" I waved down to her. "I'll be right down."

I untied the rope quickly and stuffed it back into my bag.

"What on earth are you doing up there?" she shouted up at me as I dropped my bag and landed on the ground.

"I got locked up again, so I decided to leave." The smirk on my face was clear to her that I'd gotten into trouble once again with Alpha Perry.

She arched her brow at me for a moment before rolling her eyes.

"You got into trouble again, didn't you?" She shook her head at me.

"Well, they were going to lock me up again, so I just snuck out and saw the parade but it's good! It's all good!" I waved my hand, trying to convince her.

Out of everyone I had ever known, Willow was always able to see just how bad it was for me in the pack house. The only problem was that I was broke and couldn't afford a place of my own, so I couldn't escape. Not to mention the option of getting a job was non-existent because, to everyone else, I was an outsider and didn't deserve the opportunity.

Willow slowly cracked a smile and was about to give me a hug when her nose turned up at me and she backed away.

"I'm not touching you till you have a bath." She pinched her nose and giggled at the look of shock on my face. "Come on, stinky. We'll go to my house so you can get cleaned up."

"You're the best, Willow." I beamed at her.

"Just stay behind me till we get there." She picked on me.

"Willow. I'm your bestie! I don't smell that bad, do I?" I slung my bag over my shoulder and watched her face scrunch up.

The two of us cracked up laughing, and I stayed behind her as we walked back into town, cracking jokes with one another. Willow was like many other pack members who owned their own homes. Some liked to stay at the pack house, but it's more for people like me who didn't have anywhere else to go. It's not like the pack's main shopping centre was hundreds of miles away from the pack house. It's just up the road on top of a small hill.

When Willow opened the door to her house and I unslung my backpack from my shoulder, I took a moment to stretch. Sleeping in a tree was something I had never quite gotten used to, but it had happened on occasion.

"I saw you at the parade. You sure know how to make an entrance." She chuckled and waved me to come upstairs to where the bathroom was.

"You saw that," I whimpered.

She chuckled and nodded at me.

"It wasn't exactly something I planned. I have to admit those guards are getting more and more daring when it comes to catching me," I muttered.

"Maybe you should just move in here with me. After all, it's a lot less hassle than living at the pack house with Alpha Perry. Didn't you say he wanted to mate you with his son or something?" She cringed.

Willow swung the door to the bathroom open and grabbed a towel out from under the sink and handed it to me.

"Yeah. He's got it in his head that we're mates." I took the towel and leaned against the door frame.