Chapter 38 - I am here for her

Photo featured above is not mine. Credits to the rightful owner of the photo.

(Athena De Vera wearing her gold dress)

The program continues but I am here, overthinking. Am I the only one affected by her presence?

"Iha, touch your food. You are not eating." My Dad told me. The food were served 20 minutes ago but here am I, I do not know what to do.

"Girl, 'wag ka masyadong magpahalata na affected ka. Your face says it. She went away without saying anything, she should be the one who's affected right now." Bulong sa akin ni Lorenzo. Tama naman siya. Kung sino man ang may utang ng sagot sa aming dalawa, si Athena yun and that is not me.

I didn't even dare to look at their table after she was announced as part of the Latin Honor awardees. I feel betrayed again, first, I am the Professor of their class, and I didn't know how the hell that happened. Second, I am a shareholder of this University. I should know what's going on with my students.

I have a lot of questions in my mind that needs to be answered.

"Dad.. do you know that she's here?" I was hoping that he doesn't know but to my surprise he just nodded.

"It's a long process but I will give you answers later, after this event." My Dad reassured me. I do not even know if seeing her right now is the right thing.

"Is this what you call your surprise?" A hint of disappointment came out of my mouth. "She went away without-"

"I want to make things right." Pinutol ni Dad ang sasabihin ko and I was shocked with his answer.

"It's too late. She has a girlfriend already." Laging laman ng Instagram niya si Celeste, ano pa ba ang dapat kong isipin? Of course, common sense.

I quickly stood up and nagpaalam sa kanila para pumunta ng toilet. Nagulat na lang ako na bigla din sumunod si Lorenzo sa akin.

"I need to pee too. The program is interesting and I can't afford not to see what's going to happen next hehe!" It seems like Lorenzo has a double meaning with regards to that.

Dire-diretso lang ako sa loob at tila walang pakialam sa mga students na nasa loob din ng comfort room. Naririnig ko ang bulong-bulungan ng mga estudyante sa loob ng CR while I'm inside the cubicle.

"Why is Athena here? I thought she dropped out already?"

"Girl, you know connections. Pag artista may kapit."

"Unfair talaga! Magna Cum Laude pa. Nagagawa talaga ng pera."

Nagulat ang dalawang students na nag-uusap ng makalabas ako ng cubicle. I stared at the both of them. It's not right to say those things when they do not even know what happened on why she is here.

"Shut your mouth or I will remove your names on the graduating list." Pagtataray ko sa kanila. That's true. They shouldn't even talk about her when they do not know what happened with Athena.

I know Athena. She will do things fairly, with credibility, and with delicadeza. She won't do such things to bring down her name. She won't stoop down on that kind of level. I just wanna know what happened to make it fair for me.

Paglabas ko ng Comfort Room, I saw Lorenzo waiting excitedly. "Babe!" Tawag niya sa akin. Ano na naman bang meron sa bading na 'to?

He whispered something to my ear. "Nico booked a plane ticket to Paris for our monthsary next month! Huhu! I just got the email just now!!!"