Chapter 37 - Whys

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Mr. Ernesto, so glad to see you again" Nakipag shake hands si Lorenzo sa kanya.

My dad took his hand and shake it. Great thing there is no commotion here.

Pagka upo namin we are all silent until my dad speaks.

"How are you and your boyfriend, Lorenzo?"

He knows that Lorenzo is gay but I didn't know that he knows he has boyfriend. Napatingin naman ako kay Lorenzo. I thought he will be shocked but to my surprise, he did not.

Napatingin naman agad sa akin si Lorenzo because he knows I am curious.

"About that, Mr. Ernesto, we are going smoothly." Tugon nito kay Daddy. Bigla naman ulit itong umimik "Uhm.. Eira.. Your dad chose me to become a Corporate Lawyer of ER Collections."

Napatingin naman ako kay Daddy. I thought he is mad. The last time kasi he fired Lorenzo as our Family Lawyer.

"Well, good to know, Lorenzo. Love pa rin ang mangingibabaw amidst of all the trials." Napangiti naman si Daddy sa akin. "Love, wins, my daughter."

Hindi ako nagsalita. I have so many questions on why my Dad is like this to me after months of not talking with each other. He must have missed me so much.

"Good Evening, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to Nottinghale University's Graduation Ball!" The voice sounds familiar and when I looked at the person who is speaking, it is Tanya.

The Manager of Athena's Events Business and the ex fling of Chinee.

Why is it always connected to Athena when she's not here? Of course, the officers are friends with these people. Siyempre gusto nila magkakasama sila on this event. Dapat hindi na ako ma shocked.

"I am Tanya, and I am going to be your host for tonight's Graduation Ball Event!" Ngiti ni Tanya sa audience. I know, hindi pa siya fully moved on about what happened with Chinee but I can see that she is coping up well.

"Miss, are you single?!" Sigaw ng lalaking estudyante sa likod.

I rolled my eyes. These rich guys can have everything they want but ibahin niyo ang group of friends ni Athena. They are solid.

Ngumiti lang ng matamis si Tanya sa kanya. I know she is friends with Celeste and I wanna talk to her later if my hunch is right.. that Athena might be here.

The program started and there are a lot of happenings agad. It's nice but and overwhelming. Sobrang nag-eenjoy ang graduating batch this time. Last year, it was not like this. The officers really made an effort.

"I would like to call on stage, Mr. Ernesto Rodriguez, the CEO of ER Collections as the guest speaker for tonight." Tanya with her high confidence voice. In fairness, magaling siya.

My dad got up and smiled at me and then dumiretso na sa stage. This is very unusual. He rarely accepts invitation but he is here right now.

"Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen. You have gathered all here tonight to enjoy this blissful night. For sure, your parents, partners and even your classmates are very proud of each and one of you. Before I start, I just want to commend my daughter, Eira Rodriguez, for being a passionate teacher. She was once a student like you and even graduated with flying colors."

For sure, kulay kamatis na ako ngayon because I am embarrassed. This is not my event and my Dad did not show how proud he is to me until now. That is the first time he said that.

"Anyway, I know there are trials and hardships along the way. There are people who say you can't do this thing, you can't love that someone, you can't be who you are and because of that, you break into pieces." My dad sounded so serious this time. I wonder where he is coming from.