Chapter 11: Please Forgive Me

Start from the beginning

You do however remember the bright blue hue in his cold, rage-filled eyes when you encased him and Thor in ice. A color that seems to be completely missing in his emerald eyes. You saw him in Asgard, they weren't blue there either. Perhaps you were right about magic playing a role. Maybe, when you and Loki are on better terms, you might actually ask him about it. But that's for some other day.

Now that you think about it, you've never seen that type of magic before. Well, it's not like you've seen a lot of magic in your 1000 years of life. Hilda had her healing magic, but other than that, nothing. Until very recently, you thought you were the only one on Earth. That's until you met Thor and Loki. 

You once again groan in frustration at your tossing and turning and decide to get up to go to the kitchen for a glass of water. In order to not disturb the others who are sleeping, you step carefully and quietly through the hallway. Closer to the kitchen, you notice the light is on and you can hear movement.

You tiptoe along the wall, and peek around the corner to see Loki seemingly stirring into a metal bowl, his back turned to you. 

"What is he doing?"

Loki stops stirring for a moment and looks up. A few seconds later, he looks back down at his bowl and continues stirring. You can hear a gentle chuckle.

"There's not many people who can sneak up on me." Loki says. He grabs the egg carton on his right and takes out three large eggs. He gently breaks them into the bowl and discards the eggshells into the trashcan beside him.

"Loki? What are you doing up this time of night?" You rub your eyes as they adjust to the bright lights.

"I am baking." Loki says, simply.

"Baking? You bake?" You say a little too surprised.

"I do not."

"That's ... weird, I guess?" You frown, confused. "Well, don't mind me. I'm just grabbing a glass of water and I will be out of your hair." 

You reach into the cupboard next to the fridge and take a glass which you set down on the counter. You open the fridge and take the water pitcher to fill the glass. When the glass is filled, you place the pitcher back into the fridge and close the fridge door.

"Nova ..." Loki turns around and faces you while leaning against the counter, his hands holding onto the edge.

"Hmm?" You hum in an uninterested tone.

"I just wanted to let you know how truly sorry I am. You are right, I should have come back for you." 

"Loki ... I really don't want to talk about this right now." You say, sipping from your glass and waving your hand dismissively.

"Please, I beg of you. Just, let me explain what happened?" 

You sigh and put your half-empty glass down on the counter behind you. You approach him, leaning against the counter across from him.

"I'm listening?" You cross your arms in front of you.

"Look, Nova, I — I betrayed everyone who ever loved me. I betrayed my father, my brother, my home. I know what I did. And I know why I did it." He starts.

"If you are trying to justify – " You push yourself from the counter but Loki holds up his hand.

"Just ... Please, allow me to finish what I was trying to say."

You let out a defeated sigh and nod, gesturing for him to continue.

"That is not who I am anymore." Loki sighs. You raise an eyebrow as it seems hard for him to explain what he is trying to say. He must be really bothered by it.