02 | An Act of War

Choi Beomgyu was incredibly unlucky.

      He had two annoyingly perfect older sisters, both of which were kind enough to give him massive shoes to fill. The oldest, Bomi, became an anesthesiologist (which was exactly what their parents wished of her), while the second oldest, Bona, was studying as Seoul University to become a brain surgeon, of course.

      Both of them had achieved perfect grades and were the top of their classes, so naturally, of course the burden of living up to his sister's expectations was thrown onto Beomgyu. That included going into medical school, but also stretched to his soulmate.

      It turns out that both Bomi and Bona had highly successful soulmates, with Bomi having married hers already and was expecting a child, while Bona was only engaged. Naturally, this meant that Beomgyu's parents expected him to have a soulmate who was extremely successful as well ( specifically, they asked for a girl that would go into law school ).

      Such was the burden of Choi Beomgyu, and it rested so heavily on his shoulders that he could barely take a break from his studies. He was naturally fairly smart, but not enough to be top of the class without trying.

      And frankly, Beomgyu was surprised he even had friends at all.

      Although he appreciated them and enjoyed the little time they had to hang out, they could sometimes get extremely annoying.

      It just so happens that one of those times is right now.

      'Draw two, hyeong,' one of his friends, Kang Taehyun, spoke as he plopped the card onto the already growing pile.

      They had decided to play a version of Uno, but instead of starting with seven cards, they split the entire deck between them.

      This moment was the catalyst for the most insane stack of draw twos and fours in the entire history of humankind.

      Naturally, Beomgyu wasn't planning on drawing any cards, especially since there currently was no deck to draw from. So, he replied to Taehyun's gesture with a sweet grin, before turning to his other friend, Huening Kai, and placing an exact copy of that card on top of Taehyun's. 'Draw four, Kai.'

      Kai returned his sweet smile with one of his own, before quickly slamming down a draw four card on the pile. 'Draw eight.'

      Taehyun raised his eyebrows, pointing to the pile. 'You're supposed to pick a colour,' he spoke, even though they all knew that the colour wouldn't matter at this point. They were playing to the death.

      'Oh. Green,' Kai added, a small chuckle escaping his lips as he ruffled his blonde hair. He was in the year below Beomgyu, but had somehow managed to join the friend group in one of the strangest encounters Beomgyu had ever had with a person.

      Kai had transferred to their school a few weeks after the school year had started and everyone else in year 10 had already found their friend groups. Because of this, no one was willing to make room for him in their already completed groups. Kai didn't mind this, however, and decided to just make room for himself in one.