01 | The Death of Tranquility

Choi Yeonjun was incredibly lucky.

      At least, that's what everyone told him.

      Not only was he graced with good looks, he was also blessed with intellect and is the top of his class. The combination of these two facts led him to be quite popular in his high school, with almost everyone knowing him.

      But what made people the most envious was his soulmate's drawings. He didn't know who his soulmate was, but he did know that his soulmate often blessed his forearms with colourful pictures, with so much skill and talent put into every stroke of their pastels, pencils, whatever his soulmate decided to draw with, that it left everyone speculating who his soulmate really was.

      'They must be a famous artist,' was one rumour he had heard. Others believed his soulmate to be a storyboard artist for blockbuster animated movies, but they couldn't decide which company they believed his soulmate to work for.

      But what his soulmate did for a job wasn't the main concern. The question that lingered on everyone's minds was 'Who is Yeonjun's soulmate?'

      Yeonjun often wondered that himself. He had attempted multiple times to contact his soulmate by writing questions on his arm, but the only response he had ever gotten was a simple ';)'.

      His soulmate's evasive response often kept him up at night attempting to figure out their identity; often staying up late stalking the social media profiles of both known and unknown artists alike, looking for similarities in art style.

      He hasn't been successful.

      However, currently he had a much bigger problem to worry about.

      Yeonjun was a very smart student.

      In fact, he always scored second in the entire school.

      But second was never good enough for him.

      He had to be first, but to do that he had to beat none other than Choi Beomgyu.

      Choi Beomgyu was in the year below him and way too smart for his own good. It hurt Yeonjun's ego that Choi Beomgyu was smarter than him, especially considering that Yeonjun was in year 12 and preparing for university. So, he made it his personal goal to beat Beomgyu in the rankings before he graduated.

      But, he only had three months to do that.

      'Bin, let's go to a cafe or something. I'm bored,' Yeonjun proclaimed as he plopped into the wooden chair next to his bestfriend.

      Soobin pulled his nose out of his textbook and turned his attention to the boy next to him, his eyebrows furrowing. 'No, I have to study, and so should you if you want to beat Choi Beomgyu in the next schoolwide assessment in a few months,' he glared at Yeonjun as he spoke, before turning back to his textbook and adjusting his glasses as he started copying words down onto his notebook.

      Yeonjun kicked the table with his foot in childish frustration, causing others in the library to glare at him. He ignored their annoyed stares. 'I'll start studying tomorrow. It's months away, anyway,' he stated, leaning his head back to stare at the tile ceiling. The rustling of pages filled the otherwise suffocating silence.

      'Okay, then what about our English exam tomorrow?'

      Yeonjun scoffed. 'I don't need to study. I'm practically fluent.'

      'I see . . .' The sound of a heavy book slamming shut caused Yeonjun to lift his head up and search for the noise. His eyes landed on Soobin, who was packing his things away in his bag before zipping it up.