Chapter 9

It was almost 11 in the night and Riya was coming back from office. She was tensed because she was late and the roads were almost empty except a few vehicles passing on.

Her office hours was from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. but today she got stuck because of some work.

Sudha had called her to know about her whereabouts and she told her to relax but for an Indian girl it's always scary to be alone outdoors at night.

She saw two boys coming on bike whistling at her. Her heartbeat increased as sweat began to form on her forehead. Chuckling they sped past her and she left a sigh of relief.

But the relief didn't last long because she heard the sound of bike coming from behind her and her whole body tensed up. She clutched the strap of her backpack tightly and increased her speed.

As the bike slowed down near her she flinched backing up feeling terribly afraid.

"Riya!" Raj grinned at her taking off his helmet but his smile vanished as soon he saw her expression.

Riya froze on her spot. Her brain couldn't process anything and she felt awful. It's extremely sad that a girl can't even feel safe in her own city where she grew up. She can't walk around her own country without any fear where she lived her whole life.

Raj came around his bike and held Riya from her shoulders and whispered softly. "Riya?"

Riya looked up and found the familiar pair of hazel eyes staring back at her with concern. She blinked her eyes twice and threw her arms around him.

Raj was worried about her and wanted to know about the reason behind her state but decided against it. He held her delicately in his arms and stroked her hairs trying to calm her down which was actually working.

Riya felt her heartbeat calming and relief washing over her body. She felt safe in his arms; like nobody could harm her and her Rj will protect her from everything.

"What happened little girl?" Raj asked her softly like talking to a child when she was finally normal. He wanted to hold her silently for a bit longer but Riya's wellbeing is much more important than his selfish reasons.

His question broke Riya from her safe bubble and she replied with shaking voice. "I'm going back home from office and was scared of these empty roads. Before you came...two boys came on bike whistling and they seemed drunk. This is why I got scared." Riya said in a small voice and Raj felt his heart ache at the sight of his little girl looking so scared and vulnerable.

"It's okay. I'm here now." He said rubbing her back with his hands and kissed her hairline reassuringly. "Let's go home?" Riya nodded at that question feeling much better and relaxed.

Raj made her wear the spare helmet and they hopped on the bike riding towards their destination. Riya wrapped her arms around his torsos and pressed her head against his back.

She closed her eyes feeling peace settle in her mind as the night breeze sped past them and she felt his body warmth soothing. His cologne made her senses relaxed and with him she seemed to forget about her fears.