Chapter 5

A pictuture of Kaylee to the right :)

I woke up the next morning with the bright summer sun beating down on my face.  Uhhg, I always forget how bright this room gets in the morning.  Still feeling tired, I looked at the clock and saw that it was just past 8:00.  I took a deep breath and stretched before sitting up.  It was so hot in here too.

I got up and looked out my window for a minute.  The window basically took up the whole wall and it was overlooking the beack.  It was perfect out today, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.  I made my way to the bathroom so I could get ready.  After I stepped out of my pyjama shorts and tank-top, I got into the shower.  When I was finished, and after I blow-dried my hair so it hung around my shoulders in loose waves, I went to my room so I could get dressed.

I settled on jean shorts and a flowy turquoise tank-top.  I put my bathing suit on underneath in case I decided to go to the beach after, then I made my way down the white marble staircase and into the kitchen to get breakfast.  Success! Zac bought Lucky Charms!  When my breakfast was done, I scribbled a quick note to my brother, letting him know I went out, then headed out the door.   My bike was locked in the shed so I went around back and got it out.

As I rode into town, I could feel the cool morning breeze on my shoulders and it gave me goosebumps.  I should have grabbed a sweater or something. 

Hmm, I thought to myself, where to go first?  It was only quarter to ten so there still wasn’t much to do.  I planned on going to see Brooke later. 

Figuring that I should probably go talk to Alana, my boss, and the owner of Alana’s Cafe, I turned right and headed down the street.  I hummed to myself quietly as I made my way to the Cafe.  She usually only hires locals, but since I come here often enough, and she’s known me since I was little, Alana made an exception.

When I got to the shop, I locked my bike in the front then made my way inside.  The room was packed with people, it always is.  I saw a few people that I recognized, but none that I really knew.  I made my way over to the counter.  Just as I was about to ask for Alana, someone attacked me. 

Turning around, I saw that it was a girl I work with, "Allie!" I squealed excitedly.  I heard a deep voice chuckling beside me and I knew right away who it was.

“Hello, Chase,” I said, as I turned towards Allies boyfriend.

“Hey, stranger,” he said with a smile.  Allie let go of me and moved towards Chase.

“I missed you guys,” I said, sitting down on a stool at the counter.

“We missed you too,” Allie told me.  Then her face lit up and she picked up a piece of my hair, “you’re blonde again!”  Allie had long blonde, curly hair and blue eyes.  The last time she saw me, which was over Easter break, I was brunett.

“I missed the blonde, and I didn’t want to have dark hair during summer,” I told her.

“Girl talk,” said Chase, with a disgusted look on his face, “I’m out.  Do you want me to get Alana for you Kay?”

I nodded towards him then turned back to Allie, “what’s with him?”  Chase usually didn’t mind when we talked about girly things around him.

Allie shrugged.  “Are you staying for the whole summer?”

“Yup, and I’m staying here after summer too.” 

“Really? That’s fantastic!  Oh! There’s a party on Friday, are you and Brooke gonna go?”

“I haven’t talked to brooke yet, I was going to head over to her house after I came here.”

Allie nodded, “well I have to get back to work, but my shift is almost over then Chase and I were going to go for lunch, did you want to come?”

“Sure, I’ll see what Brooke is doing.”

“Cool, I’m glad you’re back!”  She left to go tend to her tables so I turned towards the bar.  There was a new kid behind the counter, and he was looking at me funny.  So I smiled.

“Hi,” I said, “I’m Kaylee, did Alana just hire you recently?”  That’s when the mysterious boy behind the counter started laughing.  That is also when I noticed that he was extremely attractive.  He had short, spikey blonde hair and blue eyes.  His black shirt was tight and I could clearly see his muscles through his shirt.

“Kaylee, it’s me, Mike.”  I didn’t know any Mikes, so I gave him a confused look. “Michael Crenshaw, I worked here last summer...and the summer before?  Come on, you can’t tell me that you don’t remember me.”  I looked at him again.  Michael Crenshaw was scrawny, not muscular.  He wore glasses, and his hair went past his shoulders.  How could this be Mike?

That’s when I noticed his crooked smile, and the scar under his right eye from when I punched him.  “It is you!  Mikey, you’ve changed so much!  Look at you!”  I couldn’t believe it.  I went around the counter so I could hug him.  “You loved your hair, and you don’t have glasses anymore.”

“I grew out of that faze,” he said, hugging me back, “and I got contacts this past year.  It’s so much easier than having to worry about glasses all the time.”

“And what happened here?” I asked, squeezing his arm.  

“I joined a rugby team, I guess it was just time I grew up.”  He smiled his crooked smile at me and I couldn’t help but smile back.  We were seeing each other for a bit last summer.  I thought we were getting pretty serious, but then I caught him making out with some other girl at a party.  So I punched him.  The ring I was wearing scratched his face and that’s where the scar came from.

I saw Alana walking towards us from the back, “Welcome back Kaylee!” she said to me, with a smile on her face.

“Its so good to be home,” I said to her, “I bet you missed me like crazy.”

“You know I did,” she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm, “Its a wonder this place was even able to function without you.”

“Haha, very funny.”

“So I take it you came here to work?” asked Alana.

I nodded, “yuppers...well if you still want me?”  It suddenly occurred to me that she might not even want me back this summer.  If that was the case then I’m definitely screwed.  I based my whole ‘going to university’ thing off of this job.

“I was just assuming you would be back, Kaylee.  Are you able to start tomorrow?” 

“Yah, and I’m available whenever.”

“Okay then, I’ll see you tomorrow around 9:00?” Alana asked me.

“Of course,” I told her, smiling.  I actually couldn’t wait to start working here again.  The people here are a blast, and this job is so easy.  Plus, Alana loves me, so I could basically do anything and not get into trouble.  She waved bye to me before making her way back to her office.

I turned back to Mike, “So is it pretty much the same here?” I asked him.  I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t walking into something completely different than I was used to.  Things could get a bit awkward.

“Nothing’s changed, but Alana hired a new kid,” he motioned to the corner and I saw a scrawny looking kid with glasses taking someones order.  “He’s a total nerd, you guys would be perfect together.”

“Shut up Michael.  Well anyways, I better get going, don’t want to keep you away from your work any longer.”

“Bye Kay.”  I smiled at him before I left the Cafe.  It really was good to be home.

______

THis chapter is boring, I know

but i needed it so that  everyone that she works with is sort of introduced,

and you are probably wondering where Josh is...you may have even forgotten who he is,

but next chapter is in his point of view :)

Cheers