Chapter 12

Kaylee’s POV

“Where are we going?” I asked Josh after a few minutes of walking in silence.

“Just walking.”  I could just barely hear the music from the party, but it wasn’t loud enough for me to make out what song was playing.  My heels kept sinking into the sand so I bent down to take them off.  The sand was cool between my toes, and it was so soft.

I could hear the faint sound of the waves crashing on the beach.  There was a cool breeze coming off the ocean and I suddenly realized how cold I actually was.  Josh seemed to realize around the same time I did because he took his sweater off and slipped it over my shoulders. 

“Thanks,” I said, truly grateful.  I could already feel myself warming up.  I really wanted to know what was going through his mind right now.  We stopped walking and sat down in the sand.  I looked back towards party and could just make out the house.  It looked like a tiny doll house, I hadn’t realized we had walked as far as we did.  If I squinted I could see people moving around on the back deck, or on the beach.

“So, do you have any siblings?”  It was so weird, talking to Josh.  He didn’t know anything about me so our conversations mostly consisted of him asking me questions, and me answering.  In normal conversations one would answer the question then ask it back to the person, but I already knew the answers.  For instance, Josh had one older brother named Kevin.

“I have a brother, Zac.”  Josh nodded, and opened his mouth to ask another question, but the look on his face told me what he was planning on asking, “He’s older,” I added.  Josh closed his mouth and nodded.  Usually, when I tell guys I have an older brother they get nervous.  Zac can be pretty over protective and intimidating sometimes.

I knew what I wanted to ask Josh, but I wasn’t sure how he would take my question.  Sometimes I feel like he is hanging out with me so he can feel normal, but if I bring up his fame he might get annoyed with me.

“What’s it like?” I blurted, against my better judgement.  He gave me a puzzled look and I blushed.  I silently thanked God that it was dark and he couldn’t see the colour of my cheeks, I blush way too much around him.

He sighed, then leaned back on his hands and stared up into the sky.  The stars were pretty bright, considering we were in the city.  I easily found the big dipper and it gave me comfort knowing that I was seeing the same sky here as I would back home.

“Tiring,” Josh said, finally.  I almost forgot what I had asked him.  I leaned forward and began playing with the sand, building a small mountain.  “You know what it’s like, when you have a big test the next day that you have to study for, but in another class you have a huge assignment due.  And your favourite show is on TV and your friend wants to hang out, and your parents want you to clean your room?  You know how stressful that gets?”

I nodded, thinking about the time that I had 3 major assignments due and an exam all on the same day.  I had stayed up until 5:00 in the morning trying to finish everything.  I waited for him to continue, but he didn’t and I realized that he probably hadn’t seen me nod, so I said, “Yeah.”

“Well it’s like that, but add in press conferences, deadlines, radio and tv interviews, and about a million people demanding your attention.”  I couldn’t even comprehend how exhausting that would be.  “And with the paparazzi hounding you everywhere you go, and the constant rumours...”

“Whoa,” No wonder half the celebrities went off the deep end.

I tried to picture my life as someone famous.  I already had trouble balancing my friendships with Jenna and Brooke, I couldn’t even imagine having the entire world know my name.  “That’s rough,” I said, not really knowing what else I could say.