14 | if not now, when?

Start from the beginning

"YOU'RE FIRED MYUNGHO!" Daphne squawked angrily and got me laughing as I welcome my class of students. She says that all the time but it never happens.

...

When class ended and my students were all dismissed, I walked out with big eyes searching warily for Daphne. Sometimes, she holds a mop stick and hides at a corner to ambush me. Sometimes, she throws me towels. There are a lot of variations and I wonder what her menu is like today.

But the studio was unusually quiet. It seems like she wasn't waiting to attack me today.

"Hey boss?" I tried to sound her out but nothing returned. Easing into the peaceful silence, I maneuvered to the front of the reception to pick up the parcels Daphne cursed at.

There were about six parcels laying around, four of which is mine and two of it Daphne's, already unwrapped. How can she say that all of it was mine?

I put my parcels aside first and began sweeping her torn pieces of wrapping paper into the rubbish pale. Among it was a handwritten card that I should put aside for Daphne, but one glance of it was enough to catch my attention. The handwriting was awfully familiar so I decided to read it.

Daph!

It's the last time I'm sending you a parcel from Canada because by the time you see this... I'm back. ;-)

Love,
Yujin

My heart smashed to the ground. One name was all it took to freeze me. I don't know if I should believe that this is the same girl I knew from five years ago. It could be someone else with the same name... but the handwriting was hers.

I could easily confirm it because I've read the notes that she slipped through my locker a thousand times. Whenever I drown myself in alcohol alone at home, I'd pull out her notes to read. It happened so many times that I can remember them word for word.

My eyes burned right through the card in my hand now, in utter disbelief and felt bitter. If this is really Yujin, why didn't Daphne mention her to me?

Five years ago, Daphne knew that Yujin and I spent nights having tuition in this studio. If Daphne knew, she should have told me something because she's seen me at my lowest after Yujin left.

"You had one job Myungho, and you're not done cleaning up?!" Daphne told me off in a joking manner. Speak of the devil. She returned from outside looking chirpy and excited.

"Where did you go?" I raised my eyes to meet hers and tried my hardest to contain the bitterness within me.

"Not far, just out to see a friend."

I clenched my fists as I stood behind the reception table where Daphne couldn't see it. Still putting up a front before I let my emotions show. "Friend? Who got you all excited?"

I wanted to snap at her for deceiving me the whole time. Even now, I couldn't tolerate the smile on her face because I felt betrayed.

She slowly dropped her smile and studied me. "Just a friend," she said cautiously, "...from Canada."

Without realising that what she said could change my life completely.