chapter 1, moving

Start from the beginning

i sighed as the elevator began to climb. i waited for a while until it dinged and i walked out once the doors opened. i walked down the hallway and about in the middle is where i stopped. apartment H53.

i put the key in and turned. i pushed open my door and i could see my apartment. i smiled to myself. i had been saving up ever since my freshman year and i was proud of myself for doing it.

i walked inside and closed my door, it was a studio apartment, i was in the kitchen right now, and then there was the living room and then a wall. behind that wall was my bedroom and inside there was a bathroom. i set my things in my living room before walking back outside to grab the rest of my things.

~~~

it had been hours. it was currently 3 am and i had just finished putting my silverware away. the apartment was a mess, but i didn't care. i had all day tomorrow for that. i rubbed my tired eyes and kicked things out of my way as i walked to my bedroom. i flopped down on my bed and closed my eyes.

and soon, i fell asleep.

~~~

i woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. i groaned and picked it up to see it was my best friend from back home. i sighed and declined. i checked the time, 12:34.

i knew i needed to get up, but i didn't want too.

i sighed and pushed myself up and stood up. i rubbed my eyes and walked out of my room and looked at my apartment. things were everywhere, not to mention i had a couch coming today.

oh my god someone kill me.

i walked over to the cabinets and grabbed a granola bar. i walked into my living room and sighed. i sat down and started to get to work. i moved things where i wanted them and out of pictures and decorations. i finished setting things up in my kitchen. i hadn't even started on my bedroom when there was knocking at my door.

i assumed it was the movers but when i opened the door there stood a girl who looked around my age. i furrowed my eyebrows.

"hi!" she said with a smile. "i'm Madi. i live two doors down. i just wanted to say hi and welcome you here." she said confidently.

i smiled back, "thank you. how long have you lived here?" i asked.

"about 2 years. if you need any help getting around the city or need help unpacking you can ask. i would be glad to help." she said and i could see her eyes move to look behind me.

i looked behind me now kind of embarrassed of how much of a mess it was.

"need some help?" she asked.

"i need more than some." i chuckled. she smiled and walked inside. i closed my door and walked up next to her.

"you have a good start." she said. "when do you plan on buying furniture."

"i have people coming in to put my couch together, i'll need to go to ikea or something for bar stools." i said looking at my island counter.

Madi nodded. "i can help with that but for now we need to make sure the movers can set up the couch." she said and we began to clean stuff up.

it took another hour before that was done. and just as we finished there was a knock at my door, the movers.

i opened up my door and let them inside. they set their things down and began to put my couch together. it was nothing fancy by any means. just nice and simple.

i leaned against my counter and sighed. i grabbed my old glass of water and dumped it out before refilling it with fresh water.

"mind if i have a glass?" Madi asked.

"not at all." i said stepping out of her way and she grabbed a glass and filled it up with water.

"how did you know i moved in?"

"the front desk lady, Sam. she always gets excited when new people move in, she sees it as "more people to joke with." Madi said. "i never understood it either." she said as she noticed my facial expression.

i laughed and took another sip of my water. i sighed and put it aside and glanced at the men who were working, they seemed to almost be done. i had a tv and i needed to get a mount for it but i needed to finish setting up my bathroom and my bedroom. and i was in desperate need of a shower.

"once they're done i'm gonna start my bedroom and my bathroom and then if you wouldn't mind we can go to ikea and walmart because i need stools and groceries and a new dresser." i explained.

Madi nodded and just then a man walked up to me holding a piece of paper for me to sign. i signed it and paid them giving them a $20 tip. they thanked me and left. i pushed myself up and walked over to my bedroom. Madi followed me.

"you ready?" she asked.

i sighed. "fuck no."

"same."

***