Chapter 29

Chapter Twenty-Nine

          "How does the defendant plead?"  The judge asked, looking over and staring down Matthew as he watched the table below his hands.  Haven sat up in her seat, watching intently as Matthew was tried for attempted homicide. 

          It still surprised her that he had tried to take her life. 

          Darin watched Haven from the pew in the court room.  He swallowed hard, watching and listening as they all spoke.  He couldn't miss this trial.  He couldn't miss watching as Matthew was tried for trying to kill the one person he loved, all because he had been jealous and angry that she wouldn't sleep with him. 

          "The defendant pleads no contest, your honor," Matthew's government appointed lawyer said.  They were told to be seated and Darin watched as Haven fidgeted with her hands on her pants.  The judge looked over at her in sympathy, but couldn't, or wouldn't, say anything about her constant moving around.  

          "Would the defense please present their case?"  The judge said, watching as the lawyer stood and made no show of emotion with his expression or body language. 

          "We do not have a case to present, your honor," he said before being told to sit down.  Then, the judge turned to Haven and her lawyer.  He stood and nodded, being allowed to present his case, even though it wasn't needed. 

          "Your honor, may I present to you every shard of evidence we have against this . . . young man," Haven listened to her lawyer, William Kurtis, speak.  She couldn't help but fidget with her hands and she watched Matthew from the corner of her eye. 

          "We found very little evidence at the final crime scene, but there was just enough for an arrest to be made against Miss Brianna Yancavich.  There were finger prints left on a packet of matches that were found on the edge of the clearing and identified that they had been used in the same fires that had been set around the neighborhood in the months prior to the attack on my client, Haven Jones," William spoke in a deep voice; the authoritative boom wasn't mistaken as he was listened to throughout the court room. 

          Brianna had confessed long before Matthew, but she was found guilty for only arson at her first hearing.  She was then tried and found guilty for vandalism of property and sentenced to fourteen months in jail.  She'll be eligible for parole in eight months. 

          Yolanda pleaded guilty at her trail for arson and slashing tires, but was found guilty for conspiracy to commit murder, as well.  She was tried as a juvenile and sentenced to seven years in the county jail.

          She killed herself in her cell, two weeks after her hearing. 

          Matthew's trial was going to be an easy win, but Haven couldn't stand the thought of being in the same room with him for over five minutes.  She felt like she was going to go insane; she couldn't even eat anything earlier in the morning.  The thought of him looking at her and imagining her death scared her more than anything, even though she knew he couldn't hurt her with everyone in the court room. 

          The first witness called to the stand was Brianna.  She was brought through the doors near the jurours' seats and swore with her right hand in the air and her left hand on the Holy Bible, to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

          "Miss Yancavich, can you tell me where you were and who you were with in the days before the attack on my client, Haven Jones?"  William asked, watching as she slowly spoke, with dead eyes aimed at Haven.